LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that '95 lt1's came with hardened pushrods?

When is it required to get hardened pushrods?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm gonna be using NSA roller rockers with guide plates.
What do I look for on the stock pushrods to find out if they're hardened or not?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Re-read Shoebox's answer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When using a file, how can I tell if they're hardened push rods

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
If they file has zero effect upon them. If the file gnarls them up they are not hardened. Why question it anyway? Measure for the correct size and buy nice hardened rods, they aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I suppose, I've spent a small fortune on the top end, why cheap out now.
I guess I figured that if the oem pr's were hardened then I wouldn't have to buy new ones

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sooooo when you did or had all the top end work done you didn't think to add pushrods or perhaps it wasn't in the budget? Just curious.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was in the budget until I had seen someone mention that older lt1's came with hardened pushrods and I figured why replace something with something else thats the same.
The top end is in the process of being assembled and I only recently purchased NSA rockers. I'm not cheap, just on a budget

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
My 94 had hardened pushrods. I used a file to confirm - taking the corner of the file and lightly sawing at it in the same spot for a dozen strokes. You could not catch a finger nail on the mark from the file. Even a hardened push rod will lose material if you really go at it with the file :lol:

The stock pushrods hardened or not are still a tube with ball ends welded on. There is power in a nice pushrod that doesn't deflect much. Get a nice 1 piece pushrod from Manton -
Pushrods-Manton Pushrods-High Performance Pushrods Talk to Al and tell him about your setup. He will recommend the best choice. They ship quick, and have excellent prices for the quality pieces you will get.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Josh 89

yes you need "hardened" PR with guideplates. What you really should consider, beyond hardened if going NSA, is a PR with thicker walls like .080. You are building the "top end" and assumeing looking to rev more also....PR can flex especially at higher RPM's

TrickFlo is what I got but there are many options for PR's

now if by "top end" you are haveing heads "done" which would involve milling the surface, now going 1:6 RR and especially if doing a cam AND even more so if the block was decked you really need to confirm PR length

7.200" is stock but often after "motor" work involving heads/cam a shorter PR is often needed but you need to measure with a PR check tool to confirm

a quick check would be to mark the top of a valve stem with a sharpie, lash that valve, rotate engine by hand 2 revolutions and remove rocker. If witness mark is center and narrow you are good. mark closer to intake means longer PR is needed and further towards exhaust means shorter. Typically off the shelf PR come in .050 increments +/- lengths over stock. A measure PR tool will tell you exactly what you need.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the great info, I have a pushrod length checker. I'll probably end up checking out the manton push rods or trickflow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts