LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling my lt1 and I want to go out the top. The transmission is out already and everything is disconnect will I have problems? I know it's really difficult with the tranny connected but I haven't seen any post that they pulled the tranny first. Thanks

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
Many people pull the engine from the top. With trans out already you should be able to get it out without too much difficulty.

My concern is when you put it back in. If you don't have a lift and a good transmission jack, getting the trans back in while lying on your back, under the car, can be a pita.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I just did mine from the top with tranny connected. First...jack up front of car about two foot, enough to allow room for tranny and engine to be inserted about 45*. The extra room is for tranny to go low enough to get engine in. You may need a small price of 2x4 if u need to rest engine on rad support while you shift your chain connection points. Second...you may at first insert engine normally but at some point u will want to connect our chain only to front half of engine, this will allow you to with a friends help locate the engine/tranny where it should be. Friend will have to use jack or something of the sort to lift tranny etc. Use a pointed bar or long tough pointed screw driver to help align engine mounts and our done. I believe bent my cow lip a little bit but hey I got both in at the same time. You will use the chain in the front to lift ur engine to help align the eng mounts. I also did mine with intake on. Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
might have some troubles if your harmonic balancer is on itll probably hit on the front of the engine bay, other than that its easy as pie

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yeah use that piece of 2x4 or 1x2 to help protect the rad support. Once you get it past it enough( car jacked up and tranny being finesses by a friend) you will be fine..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just pulled mine out top with trans not attached, also i had my intake off and everything off the front of engine. Lifted right out no issues exept i had to put the lift on the side of the car because the nose is to long. I plan to try and put my new engine and trans in together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts