LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy has a 96 t/a he's just bought. 97000 miles, slp cai, hooker catback...few issues.
At 1500rpm it likes to surge/lunge and as soon as give her some throttle it perks right up.
Also, it doesnt seem to want to fire right up, like it cranks fine, sounds good, just takes a lil longer then it should, and when it does fire up, it kinda studers and then goes. Idle is not to smooth either.
The car also likes to randomly die at like literally 1mph. For instance, (not always), back up out of a parking stall, stop, put it in drive and then it shifts, rolls for a second, and dies. It does fire up tho when cranked, right away.
Lastly, it always seems to be blowing carbon outta the tail pipes. No matter how hard its been "blown out" already. I don't smell anything tho.
The car gets good mpg's too... Like 240 miles on a tank with mixed driving.
So we have ran fuel system cleaner, replaced fuel filter, checked injectors (1 was loose, but didn't make difference when put in tighter), and PO said that spark plugs and wires were replaced @95000...
So today, did a real time data log test as he drove it. And it said mis fire in cylinders 1, 2: and 6....but the car never back fires, never cuts out or bogs down.

Any info, suggestions, just ANYTHING would be appreciated guys.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, the real time scan said the misfire were at 1509rpm in those cylinders....so that kinda explains the surging??

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
First: check the wire routing, second: what brand wires, third: what is the gap on the plugs, fourth: check IAC and TPS, fifth: vacuum leaks, sixth: how old is cap and rotor, seventh: scratch head.

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Dampen the plug wires and run at night. If there's any spark leakage you'll see it easily. Check spark plugs for correct gap. Po could have put them in, right out of the box, without checking the gap.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dampen the plug wires and run at night. If there's any spark leakage you'll see it easily.
How do you do this, what do you mean? Sorry if its a stupid question...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
He's talking about using a spray bottle and spraying the wires real good to see if arcing occurrs. This is best done in a really dark setting. Let me ask what type wires do you have?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, apparently the PO is full of sh*t . :craz28:..the plugs and wires look original tbh.. the plugs look like copper? Idk for sure and the wires are just old and connections arent the best...so we will replace plugs and wires and see how that does it. And do you guys have any suggestions for best combo for just a light bolt ons car?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so all plugs and wires are changed, NGK platinum plugs and ACDelco wires. All are loomed properly and now it starts ALOT better but, it still surges at 1500 rpm, so we hooked up the scanner and it says misfiring on cylinder 5, (which is new), also the cap rotor was confirmed as new a few months ago. Plugs are gapped at .55 I believe.......so what now? Any ideas guys? Stressed out.....

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ok so all plugs and wires are changed, NGK platinum plugs and ACDelco wires. All are loomed properly and now it starts ALOT better but, it still surges at 1500 rpm, so we hooked up the scanner and it says misfiring on cylinder 5, (which is new), also the cap rotor was confirmed as new a few months ago. Plugs are gapped at .55 I believe.......so what now? Any ideas guys? Stressed out.....
Double check wires and then check them again. Also, your plugs are gapped wrong. Try 44 as this is what mine are and what is called for. Some run tighter or hair above .Actually I don't remember but they're definitely have too much gap. If no change loosen cap and pull forward to see if any damage is present then use gentle torque when putting back on. Try this then get back to us.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Personally I always use ngk tr55s at 0.040 and it runs great, I wouldn't have done the platinum plugs but it is what it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts