LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my drivers side headlight (2000 Formula) is making an awful racket after it closes(take it the plastic gear is shot) so I did the free mod, took off the arm and turned the adjuster 180*, at least I thought I was close, now instead of making the noise when it closes, it does it when it opens and comes within 3/4" of full open then it stops. I take it its hitting the worn gear on the way up. Cant do anything about it now, have to go to a family reunion, but when I get back I guess Ill have to make minute adjustments until I get it right. Does this sound like a plan? Feel free to throw any comments out there til I get back. Thank you.

·
Registered
772 Posts
There are no small adjustments to be made that will help this. The motors from 98 and up rotate about 230 degrees, so when you turn the gear 180, it leaves the bad spot in the range of the rotation. The only thing that might help is to lubricate the joints so that it "coasts" past the bad spot on the way up. I did that and it lasted another year before replacing the gear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just replace the gear. I got a quick cheap plastic/nylon gear from autozone for my 95 and it was only about 12 bucks. took maybe 15 mins to get the old out and the new in. Sealed it up with jbweld and its working great.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I did the same, bought 2 plastic gears from Rockauto, I fancied the metal gear replacements but the price was a bit steep, I thought if the plastic ones had lasted 19 years why not stick with plastic? :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts