LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had some money again and started buying up some more parts for my toy. 1995 z28 with a stroker. I bought a powermaster xs high torque starter to deal with the extra load of the 383 compression and the rear mount battery. I have upgraded cables for grounds and power already. When I removed my starter to install the new one I found the starter pinion gear and the flexate ring gear are touching without throwing out the pinion. There should be attests 1/16 inch clearance according to powermaster. I got the right part number starter the 9502. Has anyone else had this issue?? If so how did u fix? I called powermaster about a possible shim but haven't gotten a response yet. Thanks as always guys. :LS1LT1flag:

·
Registered
807 Posts
I believe you can buy a shim set from a better auto parts store or you can
probably ask a high perf. company like Summitt or Jegs ,they should have them. ed

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the gap of the teeth is fine. The starter comes with a shim set that goes over the bolt holes for that. The problem is front to back, not up and down. There should be clearance from the aft end of the pinion gear to the forward of the ring gear at 1/16". I can't slide it forward bc it only bolts in one way, so it would be an internal shim to the starter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Starter Clearance

I had the exact same problem. I had to send the starter back to PowerMaster and they had to install a "special" shim kit. Got it back and it has perfect clearance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts