LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, just recently I feel as if my power steering is giving out. I was driving and turning into my house when my steering wheel lost all power and I had to yank it relatively hard to get it to turn. Happened a second time but I hit the gas and I got all my power back. Anyone know whats going wrong here?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I figured, I will probably go get it checked out next week. Leaving for mamouth tomorrow so it will just be chillin in the garage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been having that same problem, I changed all the power steering fluid and that seemed to help for about a month or so and now its worse than ever so I figure I will just bite the bullet and change it. But just curious can anyone tell me how hard it is to change and how much I will be looking at for a power steering pump? Also is there anything else that I will need for the install? Thanks....

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Lost all power......just in the steering? Did the engine stumble? Any interior electrical stuff go out?

Just making sure we're all talking about the same thing. If the engine died or almost died you'd lose power assist just from the pump stopping.

The LT1 PS pumps are known to be pretty weak, and they're succeptible to over-heating too. Most road racers install coolers for that reason.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No electrical stuff went out, engine did not stumble. I was just idling through a nieghbor hood and the steering just tightened up. I did a small slalom in the street while the steering was tight (as if I had no power steering) and then when I hit the gas it disapeared. So I checked my fluid which is fine, and my only idea was it to be a pump or a belt or something like that. Got any idears?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts