LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know with my quadzilla(4wheeler) I powder coated alot of parts . Held up fine in mud and especially sand. But ... For the car ... Engine brackets and tower brace and misc ... How does the coating hold up vs paint ? The car won't see snow and rarely rain . I've heard paint is better due to toxicity of fumes and oils . But then powder coat is as strong . What is your thoughts issues, comments . Thanks for your time ,
Don

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
Powder coating is more durable. The downside is that you can't touch it up as easily.

I'll use brake calipers as an example. Brake fluid will quickly strip the paint. It just whitened the area of powder coating it sat on.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again for your input . That's what I
Was thinking myself . Going to get the tube k member powder coated and tower brace and some brackets done in a deep metalic purple . Just was hoping the powder hold up .
Don

·
Registered
119 Posts
Powder Coat vs. Paint

Long story short I recently did complete "restore" if you will of my 96 T/A. And I thought it would be a great idea to have EVERYTHING powder coated. I realize now after over a $1,000 in powdercoating I wish I would have just painted everything in the engine compartment. :banghead: Don't get me wrong powdercoating serves a great purpose on many things and has its advantages, but on many things on vehicles it is hardly worth the money you spend or headache it creates. Things like subframe connectors, strut tower brace, k-member, suspension componets I would agree to powder coat. Almost anything else (engine related) I would use a quality hi-temp paint and call it a day!

FWIW

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
:craz28:I didn't really pay attention to your screen name. Zillas are some nasty bikes, nothing like a 2 stroke. I have a 535cc Tecate4 that I run in dirt/sand drags. Or at least I did till I got my firebird. Its been on the back burner lately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts