LS1LT1 Forum banner

Possible blown head gasket

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Racy Roadmaster 
#1 ·
Well I took my valve covers off today in search of a ticking noise. Upon inspection I saw some yellow goo on the inside of the covers. :mad: I'll attach some pictures to show you. Is this a blown head gasket? If so, what all will I need to replace it? I've done all of my own engine work and mods, so I know my way around the car Ive just never tackled a head gasket replacement. I know ill need the two gaskets, do I also need an intake gasket? Is there a write-up for it? Thanks everybody.

See less See more
#2 ·
Does your engine run many short trips without getting up to temperature? If so that may be normal moisture build up. You will want to make sure your PCV valve is working properly. If not check for secondary symptoms like milky oil on the dipstick, higher level on dipstick, oil in the coolant, or a sweet smell coming out the exhuast. If any of these are found pull radiator cap and do a pressure test for leaks.

#3 ·
I drove the car for the first time in two weeks yesterday, and it was a short trip, but other than that all my trips are normal. There was no milky oil on the dipstick at all. I checked twice. I just drained the oil and it looked fine will it was running out, but it hasn't completely drained yet. The oil level was a little low, not high. There's no sweet smell in the exhaust, it just smells like normal exhaust fumes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.