LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I have a 2010 Camaro ss l99 automatic. I am looking at continuing the modification journey on this soon to be beast. I am looking for the best camshaft and ported heads combination that will work best with a Maggie supercharger. From what I have researched the heads and camshaft route should be taken first and then the supercharger added which I have researched and found to be the Maggie unless otherwise directed here so I want the correct combination so I do not have to swap when I add the supercharger in a few months. I currently have a k/n cold air intake and kooks long tube headers with a flowmaster American thunder cat back exhaust. The car has a diablosport chip in it as well. any informatrion would be much appreciated. Also if there are other modifications I should make first that I may not be un aware of please feel free to enlighten me. Thank you all.

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
Your head and cam choice should reflect your desire to run a blower. You'll want lower compression heads and a cam ground for forced induction. Check out the cam grinds and heads for the CTS-V/ZL1 (LSA) and ZR1 (LS9). You also need to look into what it takes to delete your DOD.

Personally, I would do the heads, cam, and blower all at once so the labor expenses are lower, or if you are DIY you're only doing it once.

Now the other part of this is that you will need to upgrade your fuel system to support the blower. The valve train should be upgraded with the cam swap.

Then you'll also learn about wheels hop issues, lack of traction, how strong your trans is, if your tuner can tune, etc. Oh and skip the diablo sport junk and find a local tuner. There is no "chip" anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome!!! thank you for the info. I assumed that was much more to replacing the heads and stock cam. I suspected but was not sure that if Im forcing more air into the engine then more fuel would be needed. I was also worried that with the increase in hp the strain on the tranny would be to much to handle. I installed the diablo sport since there seems to be a lack of dynos around my area or so it seems. lesson learned I tried to take the easy way. May have to take the car the 500-600 miles it deserves to get it right. Since my main question answered Ill ask another. I am planning to do it myself with the help of a friend of a friend who mods 5th gens. I plan to do the heads and the cam and later do the supercharger since they apparently do not give those away. This car is just something for me to tinker with and im not really interested in racing it but want it to perform the best it can. Will I need the DOD with the new heads and get it out of the way or is that something that should go on with the blower? Thanks again for the help. Im accustomed to working on 350's and 454's not these new technologically advanced 5th gens.

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
It isn't really much different than the old V8's once you get in and used to them. Same basic concepts apply.
DOD isn't needed unless you want to keep it. You have to keep a small dod friendly cam. The G8 guys have been dealing with dod for a while. I'd ditch it. Just something else to break later IMO, and I don't know how the dod friendly cams will work with forces induction. I know my V's cam is small and so is the LS9, but neither have dod.

No, blowers aren't cheap and they get more expensive when you add in fuel system, heat exchangers, coolant pumps, etc. Have you though about centrifical blowers or a turbo instead? Not cheap either, but are an option. Or just build a strong NA car? The 6.2L can make upper 400whp cam only NA. Now go heads and cam and a converter and it should move well without the other expenses.

Trans life is directly related to a good tune. Find a shop with a good rep and let them tune. Where are you located?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm located in alexandria , va . I'm actually not worried about the cost of all the upgrades I just can't afford to do all 12k at the same time. I do think the DOD is going away I honestly just didn't know what brand of heads and can to go with that would be compatible with a blower. I want the car to have the best I can afford and I think a supercharger is within reach even with all the other fuel system upgrades. I've never really added performance enhancing parts before so I'm kinda in no mans land.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts