LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have looked through countless posts in this section about what people are doing in terms of suspension upgrades, however I do not see much about anyone performing stock or slightly modified replacements. I know that some will consider it not cool to just want to go with a stock suspension setup, but I am not looking at breaking the bank on a few suspension parts that will only ever see the inside of a garage and some spirited weekend driving.

I plan is to replace the front bushings. At first I seriously considered buying a poly kit, however the all the back and forth I have read about these have me wondering if buying stock or performance parts are a better option. It seems like I can buy OEM parts right off of sites like rock auto and the upgrade performance parts from companies like MOOG that are advertised as being better than stock options. I did not own this car new, however I am sure that it handled relatively well when new, and I think if I can get it back to that or better without breaking the bank then that is likely good enough for me.

In what situations are poly bushings a better choice? I really don’t like the idea of the squeak or unnecessary flex on the stamped steel components. Any insight here would be appreciated

For shocks/struts, I am on a budget for this car and like I said it is a weekend toy, not really planned to do much more than some spirited driving. I have been considering the KYB branded offerings. It seems like the price is good on these and they seem somewhat popular. My real question is should I spring for adjustable? My thoughts are that I am not a suspension expert, nor do I really want to be. I would prefer to drive the car so likely a set it and forget it attitude would likely be the case. So is being able to do that initial setting worth the money or does it just encourage an endless ride tuning session?

I have seen on many posts that people are changing their spring setups as well. Some people have posted that the stock springs are typically still good. Should I consider buying a replacement spring setup for my stock (or slightly better than) rebuild? It makes sense to me to just throw the parts at it if they are not too expensive just to ensure the rebuilt system does not have a weak point. What are your thoughts?

Like I said, I am not really planning on being competitive with this car. It is really just a toy, I don’t even drive to work unless it is a really nice day. I might be in the minority here with these questions, but I am sure that someone can point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use my FB the same way you do but I did go for more of a performance set up. I can say that back when mine was new it handled and road with a good compromise between comfort and performance. With the progressive rate springs it is now definitely a little harsher ride. The adjustable LCA's, panhard, and torque arm all help adjust for the changed suspension geometry of the lowering you get with the springs. If you are just wanting a comfortable ride going with stock replacements would accomplish what you want and save you money. Good Luck

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback, i am not really looking to lower the car at this time, i assume that the comfortable ride includes some level of performance, not race ready or anything like that. I am leaning towards the adjustable KYB shocks. Are they needed at all for my build, or should i just select a shock/strut that is fixed?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts