LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the group, and old/new to hot rodding. It's been about 20 years since I got grease under the nails. I have a 1st gen camaro with a 96 LT1 swap. So I'm looking to add some power. Reading some threads I see a 58mm throttle body, CC306 cam are looking good. An 06 artile in Car Craft points me toward an Edelbrock Air Gap intake, and other research leans me toward the LT4 model. Possibly a set of heads like the Edelbrock or Trick Flow. Not sure if this is still the hot ticket or not, and if I may be looking too much into the more is better with the the 58mm vs the 52mm throttle body and LT4 vs the LT1 Air Gap. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
You need to do a whole lot more research. Most of those things you mention are not the hot ticket. 58mm is overkill for most people. CC306 is relatively old technology. Edelbrock manifold has no real value over a stock one. Name brand off the shelf heads are generally ok, but not the best. If you are a "package" person, consider them from Advanced Induction or Lloyd Elliot. Those people can actually tailor a package for you needs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Shoe, that's exactly the kinda information I was chasing. This is a good start and a solid answer to the reservations I was having. Although the 06 CC article is outdated, the idea of going to a 58mm TB had me starting to roll down the path of "bigger is better", and deep down I knew better.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
All magazine articles need to be taken with a grain of salt considering the magazine usually gets the parts for free in agreement to write a nice article. Anything edelbrock for the 4th gen f body's is GARBAGE. The air gap actually loses hp on stock heads, their heads cost more than AIs 200cc package and don't flow dick, their suspension parts are trash, stay away from edelbrock on any new platform. The cc306 is a dyno queen cam with crappy drive ability and pretty bad track times for how big it is. A custom grind from AI or LE will outperform any off the shelf cam and not cost much more. Comp honestly sucks at specing cams for the lt1, I saw a thread where comp speced a pretty tiny cam on a 114 lsa saying the guy would need to flycut his pistons. Comp, edelbrock, all those big names in the sbc and bbc world pay very little attention to our small platform and put zero effort into learning what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I started looking into porting and cam combo's and LE and AI are the hands down favorite. I shipped my heads and intake to LE today. He suggested a 58mm TB and that I contact a tuner for injector size.

This forum has probably saved me from ending up with a cool sounding, less than performance oriented rig.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
That is the nice thing about forums, nobody on here gets parts for free or is pushing products with a motive, you see good results, bad results, problems, failures, everything. Always good to do a ton of digging on different forums, find someone who's setup works and learn from what they did. Also look in the classifieds as tons of great deals pop up.

If you are looking for rockers I have a set of 1.6 3/8 stud non self aligning crane gold aluminum race rockers for sale with no locks (but I can give you the part number off summit $55) for 125 plus shipping. Send me a pm if interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts