LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering what i would need do the pcm4less tuning from my home computer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
pcm4less is either a mail order tune or they also do dynotuning...for a mail order tune fill out their paperwork, send them your computer they will send out the computer with a new tune in it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've got alot of friends that have their tunes and some they hit dead nuts and some are waaaayyy off. It's kind of hit or miss when you do mail order tuning.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
PCMforless can provide you a tune + loader program and you get a cable and load the tune yourself for 94-95 cars.

As for PCMforless's tune's being "wayyyyy off", lets try not to have forum moderators knocking a site sponsor with 2nd hand information. If somebody's tune was really way off I'm sure PCM for less would work with them to get it right. I think its fair to say mail order tuning is never as accurate as a good dyno tune, but PCMforless is as good or better than anybody else out there.

I've used PCMforless for a couple of things (new PCM, OBD2 emissions compliance tune) and they've always been great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are alot of instances when mail tuning can work out great for people...in 94whiteZ's case for instance...there are no shops in NJ currently that even offer tuning for 95 and down fbodies because they are obd1...even 96-97 tuners are few and far between. Also consider the price Brian has probably tuned hundreds if not into the thousands of cars & probably has 10gig of bin files to refer to for just about every perticular combination. You have to remember he doesnt JUST do mail tunes he has tuned many cars on a dyno & in person.

·
Registered
358 Posts
brian @ PCMFORLESS did mine via mail order multiple times for multiple combos......i was very pleased. they do good work over there IMO, I wouldent take it anywhere else :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
QWKWS6 said:
I've got alot of friends that have their tunes and some they hit dead nuts and some are waaaayyy off. It's kind of hit or miss when you do mail order tuning.

The quality of the end product is proportional to the cars condition.

Alot of times we are stuck hearing about things that really aren't our fault at all. If you decide to get a tune from us make sure that everything is up to par.. this would include

1. No DTC's
2. Fresh plugs and wires
3. Fresh tune up
4. Nothing skipped or I'll do that later type of thing
5. NEVER assume a sensor isn't important without consulting us
6. NEVER assume because you don't have a trouble code that something isn't wrong with that particular sensor.

Last night around 6pm I recieved a call from a customer of mine. The first words out of his mouth was.. The chip you sent me doesn't work. Ok, well... I run threw the list of possible causes for his symptoms.. Everything seems ok until he gets to.

I took the EGR off the car, that wouldn't cause this would it?

No

Ok, because the EGR and MAT are completely off the car now.

What? MAT is required for all kinds of other things INCLUDEING fuel delievery (which is where he is having his problems)

Its that type of thing that makes the difference between a good result with our tuning and a bad result.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll go on to say that this isn't a cookie cutter operation. We literally have TONS of experience. I don't know how to say this without sounding like I'm bragging but I have around 1300 library files just for 1986-1993 F&Y cars to pull experience from that I've developed by tuning other peoples cars. We have even more for the flash cars.

Thats not to say that we can make a mistake or be slightly off on a car here and there but the point of that comment is this.. When you buy a tune from us you are getting a tune from 2 of the most experienced guys in this field.. Not some homegrown back door operation.

Another thing I'm proud of is how we take great strides in making sure that customers are happy.. by doing touch up tunes, free re-burns.. whatever anyone needs.. This is an increasingly hard thing considering our manpower, volume, out-of-state dyno tuning trips etc... I mean think of it this way.. how the heck could we hire anyone for anything with the exception of taking out the trash and packing boxes? I can't hire some young sexy secretary to answer the phones ! :D How would anyone but us know how to answer these questions and diagnose problems.

I've seen other mail order companies come and go... With 14 years of experience and 6.5 years under our belt now I think its safe to say we are here to stay.

So in final, if you decide to get a tune from us great, let us know how we can help before and after the sale.. If you decide to get it anywhere else than goodluck, there are plenty of people out there doing really reputable and good work. The market is definately alot better than when I was 18 looking for someone to tune my car..

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm just going to jump in here real quick and say that I've had a working relationship with [email protected] for over 3 years now, and NEVER have I experienced customer service like what they (pcmforless) offer. I can personally attest to this. Having personally seen both Alvin and Bryan work their magic, I don't understand how anyone can doubt their abilities.

99.9% of the time when a car isn't running right, it's not the tune. Seen that first hand too. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm currently in the process of working through an email tune from Bryan at PCMforless and he's been phenomenal in helping me sort through my problems and getting back to me via email rather promptly. You can't beat the deal you get for a overnet tune from these guys, especially if you're new to programming.

Just my $.02 worth. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys im going to order the cable and program from pcm4less next week

·
Registered
288 Posts
i got pcmforless way back when, then got the money and did a dynotune. the dyno tune only netted me like 5-7 more. i would recommend pcmforless.

·
Registered
221 Posts
so alvin... can you tune my pcm over mail for 6 psi of boost through mail?

i mean im not looking for perfect perfomance, but im sure you can easily make my car run as well as a FMU car. But im going to do injectors too... and have you tune it so i dont need a fmu...

·
Registered
330 Posts
LT1-TA said:

i mean im not looking for perfect perfomance, but im sure you can easily make my car run as well as a FMU car. But im going to do injectors too... and have you tune it so i dont need a fmu...
Alvin tunes the 86-93 GM stuff. You need to be talking to Bryan FYI.

·
Registered
358 Posts
LT1-TA said:

If you get him a data log i'll bet bryan can hit the tune without leaving much left on the table

·
Registered
221 Posts
sleeperSS said:
If you get him a data log i'll bet bryan can hit the tune without leaving much left on the table
so like... could we get it tuned so it is running alright... get a data log.. have him look at it and then tweak?

Im real new to the tuning thing.. this is wyoming.. everyone just has a carb on their performance stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes, he can get it up and running and then you snd him the data log, he can re tune off of it. My mail order was damn near dead on, but since i am 98% stock there is a lot of room for improvemnt. If you get the ALDL cable and a Laptop he can email you the tune and you can upload it to the ECM. It is pretty straight forward, and the PCMforless guys are extremley knowlegable and deal with people with novice tuning experience to professional tuners every day

1 - 18 of 18 Posts