LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on making some part time money with auto parts out of the garage? I was thinking maybe buying old rusty headers and cleaning them up and painting them and reselling?

·
Global Moderator
13,163 Posts
With the amount of time you'll spend soda blasting headers, and how cheap the people buying them are, I'd try something else.

Collecting scape metal might be a good way. Especially if you can get copper, brass, stainless, & aluminum.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just thinking it would be neat to provide a auto service out of your own garage and make a few hundred extra a month. Don't really have a good idea to go with? It would be neat to focus on something LT1/LS1 related.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Could do tuneups, install headers/cat backs, and audio stuff.

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
Simple resells on craigslist or forums can generate some income but it isn't guaranteed return. Don't do repairs/installs unless you are a business with proper insurance. God forbid something happens, you'll be in a whole lot of trouble and hurt dealing with the aftermath.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've made some decent returns on parting cars out. Just find a decent LT1 in your area. Lowball the crap out of him. Sell parts for profit. Buy performance parts for your car.

·
Registered
406 Posts
ide agree with jimmy.. you can make some descent $ parting out cars.. but it all depends on what you pay/ are selling... i baught a 69 lincoln continental for 1000 for the interior.. by the time i parted it out i had sold $1500 of stuff and got the interior for myself .. plus still have parts.. but that took like two years.. so its not like your gonna get rich , unless you got alot of cars.

camaros can bring good money, just gotta make sure the big $ items are in good shape.. dashpads/ consoles/ airbags etc.. but also look at older cars where parts arent being reproduced.. youll make alot more that way. for instance, radiator shroud on a 60's lincoln sells for $300 alone. power steering pump $200... it adds up quick with stuff that cant be found anywhere else.

Assuming you have the room and means to do it.

Ide agree you wont make anything on headers.. ive baught and sold a few pairs and even ceramic coated ones your lucky to sell for $250-300... by the time you buy them from someone for $150-200 (assuming you can find um).. do a bunch of work + materials.. youll have a hard time selling at a profit.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
That is how I built my car, buy up peoples projects for cheap, keep what I want for my car, part out the rest to recoup invested funds. I did it for over ten years, till I got screwed over one too many times for being a nice guy. I stopped last year because of lying scum bags.

·
Registered
891 Posts
^this is true. 1 out of 10 craigslist responses are good leads.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
That is how I built my car, buy up peoples projects for cheap, keep what I want for my car, part out the rest to recoup invested funds. I did it for over ten years, till I got screwed over one too many times for being a nice guy. I stopped last year because of lying scum bags.
I still have the radials you sold me. They've brought a lot of pain to mustangs in the area lol

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I still have the radials you sold me. They've brought a lot of pain to mustangs in the area lol
I have sold to many happy people and had 100% feedback for many years. I also have met up with and became friends with people because of it from around the country. When I travel for work sometimes I meet up with and hang out with them as well. I do sell things occasionally to certain people but usually only old fashion face to face with cash or trade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts