LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, my father-in-law and I have been stripping the paint from two Corvettes... a 75 T-Top which is just a repaint, and a 66 427 Coupe which is a total restoration... it's not determined whether it will be a full-blown Bloomington Gold calibur restoration, or a first-class daily driver restoration (depends on how far the owner wants to go with the money, but this car is worth it if he does!!! (427/435 big block, 4-speed, factory sidepipe car, transistorized ignition, Rally Red with Black Interior, etc... ))

Anyway, to the point... I went through 3 gallons of stripper... which got the entire 75 stripped (except inside the doors and the inner parts of the rocker panels... gotta take the door panels off still to get to that)... and a lot of the 66 stripped (roof, rear deck, tops of the fenders and nose, and the tops of the quarters...)

So.... the place we usually get the stripper from is out of stock, so we got something different this time... instead of a semi-liquid golden brown colored stripper, it's a soft-blue gel...

It works just as well as the other stuff, and it even has less noticable odor.... but, damn, this stuff gives me a headache after working with it a while.

To make it worse, with the temp in the teens, we fired up the torpedo heater... warmed things up real nice, but it must have made the stripper vapors even worse, because I was coughing like crazy. Learned our lesson there... :homer:

No real point to this post..... just random paint stripping comments. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
PICS!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts