LS1LT1 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
my idea of a top notch cooling system is to take your fog lights out and use them as air ducts to cool the car i probably wont ever need fog lights anyways,so i did and wallah
like magic my car runs cool!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
An someone please take a picture of the air deflector attatched to the car cause I want to see if mine is there of not by comparrison. I'm haveing the same problem with overheating

·
Registered
17 Posts
my car on a a hot day will reach the 3/4 on the guage maybe a needle with above sitting in traffic or at idle, I dont hear my fans kicking on but it never goes higher. on the highway it sits steady at the first mark above 160* if the temp outside is 70 or less it can sit idle and never reach the middle of the guage. but you guys do have me thinkiing i may need to put a new cap on it and i would like to turn the fans on sooner as i dont like it getting that hot and we have been having a hotter than usual summer here in sw michigan. its been staying in the mid to high 80's thruought the night.

·
Registered
32 Posts
my car on a a hot day will reach the 3/4 on the guage maybe a needle with above sitting in traffic or at idle, I dont hear my fans kicking on but it never goes higher. on the highway it sits steady at the first mark above 160* if the temp outside is 70 or less it can sit idle and never reach the middle of the guage. but you guys do have me thinkiing i may need to put a new cap on it and i would like to turn the fans on sooner as i dont like it getting that hot and we have been having a hotter than usual summer here in sw michigan. its been staying in the mid to high 80's thruought the night.
Lower Michigan too. Hotter than :devil:! Having issues with my cooling right now :/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lower Michigan too. Hotter than :devil:! Having issues with my cooling right now :/
and no signs of it cooling down for a few days too. friday they are calling for 102* F. with a heat index of 111* :craz28:
i stand corrected btw. i was watching ym temp guage. it dosent get to the 3/4 mark, it goes just above the half way point (where the little "thermometer" icon is) and that is only on hot days sitting at stop lights or cruising around at 25mph.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Temp Gauge

umm...

is your car is actually overheating or is just the temp on the gauge is reading high -

I think you maybe trusting the temp gauge too much - F-Body gauges are notoriously inaccurate especially if its the original gauge and temp sending sensor for a 95Z.

Have you tested to see if the sending sensor is at the right resistance for the temp showing on the gauge?

The temp sending sensor for the gauge is on the drivers side about cylinder #2.

===

Also make sure when you refill the radiator, you have to bleed out the air bubble that forms on these LT1's - if you don't, this will cause the problem you are having.

shbox.com has the refill procedure on his site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is an old discussion, but had to put in my 2 cents. Have had our Trans am for 20 years. Always overheats in the summer at110 to 122 degrees outside air temp.. Can't get stuck at two lights without it going in the red. Terrible cooling system! I have added a four rowed racing radiator, new water pump, cap, t-stat and antifreeze every two years. I burp the system whenever it has been opened. I cannot change the fan on/off temps due to the old ECU. I do have a switch to turn on both fans with when I turn on the car. This helps slightly. These cars are designed for cold weather.
Unfortunately the car lives in the garage now since a rod bolt broke.

·
Global Moderator
13,110 Posts
Where do do live where temps are 110 to 122? Welcome to the forum. Doubt any of the original posters on this thread are still around to help.

But I live in central Florida where this time of the year we're in the mid to high 90's. And with the high humidity it feels 10 degrees hotter.

My 95 ta always ran at about 220 when idling and 200 when moving down the roads. I had reprogramed the fan turn on temps at 185 & 195.

On your car, are the steam pipes at the back of the heads attached & in good shape? And are they hooked to the correct places at the front of the engine? Go to following link to see hose hook up diagram. www.shbox.com
#16-19 in drawing/diagram section.

The steam pipes are very important to proper cooling as LT1 is reverse cooled and forms pockets of steam at rear cylinders. The steam pipes allow this steam to leave engine and return as liquid to cooling system.

Finally here's a link to download 93-96 factory repair manuals. In case you plan to fix the broken rob bolt problem.
www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

21 - 31 of 31 Posts