LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 TA ws6 and it overheats past the 210 mark almost to the red. I have flushed out the radiator, changed the thermostate from 180 to 160, and it stills does it. I checked the fan to see if it is turning on and it does. After i drive it i let it cool down and i have to refill the radiator just a little bit, because it evaporates. I have also checked for holes in tubes but nothing, does any one have an idea!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Handle all the simple/cheap stuff first, May be the radiator cap isn't holding pressure. Does it tend to happen more when the car is stopped or more so when the car is moving? Have you crawled under the front to make sure the air deflector is there? Your fans have two speeds. Do you see them come on low at first and the go to high speed?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Check to see if there is oil floating in your radiator and/or water in the oil. If there is either you have a blown head gasket. If so fix it now before it gets worse and costs more.

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
If it gets close to the red, but not in the red, thats almost normal. If everything checks out ok, then you are fine. these cars run HOT.
You have to remember, just putting a cooler thermostat in wont really make the car run cooler, because at idle it will still get just as hot as before, just not as fast. It all depends on your fan on/off settings. re-program those, with a cooler t-stat and your golden!
You can also do a manual fan switch to help out!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't know why everyone insists that these cars are supposed to run that hot, mine goes right to 180 degrees and stays there. I imagine if I put in a 160 tstat it would go to 160 and stay there. It's not like I did anything different than stock to make it run cooler. It got a new stock radiator and water pump put in along with hoses and a new tstat when I did the heads/cam and the fan temps have been lowered. I live in FL and I can sit at a light all day and the temp stays stable.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My lt1 had overheating probs when i bought it..so i Flushed cooling system,got 160 stat,new water pump,water wetter,manual fan switch,and the works...ended up being the RADIATOR CAP!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't know why everyone insists that these cars are supposed to run that hot, mine goes right to 180 degrees and stays there. I imagine if I put in a 160 tstat it would go to 160 and stay there. It's not like I did anything different than stock to make it run cooler. It got a new stock radiator and water pump put in along with hoses and a new tstat when I did the heads/cam and the fan temps have been lowered. I live in FL and I can sit at a light all day and the temp stays stable.
Well if your fan temps have been lowered as you say, then of course it will run cooler, no argument there.
The STOCK fan settings are high: 225* low speed, 235* high speed. Now if you are sitting in idle, no airflow, that is what the coolant temp will get to before fans are commanded on, roughly about 3/4 up on the temp gauge, give or take.
I also have my fans kick on earlier, gauge will never move, but I know how it was stock. little disconcerting at times:thumbsup:

·
Registered
522 Posts
My fans never come on, unless I am running the AC

·
Registered
592 Posts
My fans never come on, unless I am running the AC
Either your car never idles long enough to get to 226*, or there is a problem. If its the latter I would look into it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
There is no problem. I think if yours gets to 226 perhaps you have a problem. Hell I run air cooled engines in planes and they have a hard time getting up to 200+ even if I try too make them. I don't understand why a liquid cooled engine with a properly functioning cooling system should get much hotter than it is designed to operate at. And since it is controlled by the thermostat to run at 180 it should run pretty close to that. The whole point of using liquid to cool an engine is so the temperatures stay stable instead of fluctating all over. While I am not arguing that many fbodies get hot did anyone maybe ever think that it was because they are now 7-15 years old and maybe they need some care?

·
Registered
592 Posts
My car runs normally... sits at about 1/4 gauge on the freeway and fluctuates at ~210* after sitting at idle for a while. With a stock cooling system and a factory tune, the car will get hotter than 180*. If your car works well than thats great, but your posts aren't helping.

·
Registered
108 Posts

THAT almost sounds like a problem.

these cars should sit at 180 when ur movin but at a stop its normal for them to go just over 210 after a long sit then the fans bring em back to below 210. when u get movin u should drop to 180 againa after a minute

·
Registered
318 Posts
There is no problem. I think if yours gets to 226 perhaps you have a problem. Hell I run air cooled engines in planes and they have a hard time getting up to 200+ even if I try too make them. I don't understand why a liquid cooled engine with a properly functioning cooling system should get much hotter than it is designed to operate at. And since it is controlled by the thermostat to run at 180 it should run pretty close to that. The whole point of using liquid to cool an engine is so the temperatures stay stable instead of fluctating all over. While I am not arguing that many fbodies get hot did anyone maybe ever think that it was because they are now 7-15 years old and maybe they need some care?
Hot coolant needs airflow to cool down, without it you rely on the fans, which in stock form are set as hot as previously posted, therefore the coolant WILL get that hot in idle, or heavy traffic, until the fans are commanded on. On the freeway, you have the airflow, therfore more cooling, and a cooler running car. For the most part, even if you remove your T-stat, the coolant will still get just as hot until the fans turn on.
I cant speak for the others, but my cooling system is about as top notch as it gets ( all new parts) and it will get as hot as the fan will let it, even though it might be an older vehicle now.
Its great that yours runs cool, with no fans coming on, but I honestly think IMO, that your car is an anomally.
If you have any editing software, take a peek at your fan on/off settings, chances are they are down really low:thumbsup:
As stated, the STOCK TUNE, commands the fans on hot, to reduce emmisions, this has been proven over and over, end of story, the masses and GM cant be wrong.
I'm not saying the O/P has no problems, but if all else checks out on his car, he is probably OK:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
7,520 Posts
Its all about the thermo stat. OEM listed replacement is 18X from the parts store. But true OEM spec is 19X so it could just that, pass emissions.

·
Registered
318 Posts
When you first turn a hot car off, the coolant stops circulating, but the engine is still hot, therefore its not uncommon for the coolant to get even hotter, for a bit:thumbsup:
Nerve racking aint it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts