LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1971 Nova (C4 Corvette drivetrain)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here. Bought a salvaged 1995 Corvette to pull drivetrain and put in my 71 Nova. Decided to go with LTCC for reliability.

Car idles rough and shuts down when taken from park to drive. Sometimes it doesn't die and will be very rough in higher RPM.

Mechanic thinks its the optispark... had an aftermarket on (that didnt work) originally and then I bought another cheap opti (because of LTCC I didnt get expensive one)

Since these were cheap optisparks, there is a chance it is the opti

My question is, since I am using LTCC, I don't really need an expensive opti? I'm only using the timing, right? Should I really invest in a $700 MSD just for timing?

· Registered
93 Posts
The optispark may be a factor, or it could not be the issue at all. It is easy to want to blame it right away, but making sure it is absolutely the issue, or you could be spending a ton of money to not solve your problem.

What troubleshooting has been done? Are there any DTC codes? If you already have done the LTCC, are all the coils firing?

If you are set on replacing the Optispark, Delphi, AC Delco, or GM seem to be best. Some have had good luck with MSD or Petris, but those are expensive solutions.

Sounds like this will be a great project! Feel free to post pictures and updates, and welcome to the board!!

· Registered
1971 Nova (C4 Corvette drivetrain)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Troubleshooting done has been checking all the wires involved for voltage.

Unfortunately I have not yet installed the OBD port to load codes. That will have to be next.

Gonna check to see if all coils are firing. Even OEM optis are around $700... It hurts to spend that money when I'm not using half of the unit, but if I cant find solutions, I'll pull the trigger.

Never heard of Petris optis... looking at their website, they claim to use "MITSUBISHI-GRADE OPTICAL SENSOR MODULE " That may be exactly what I need.

Thank you for the info. Will keep posted for others to use this info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts