LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've changed my opti more than I care to talk about, and everytime the same thing happens, the o rings rip. Does anyone know the point of the o rings, do they keep oil in? I had the motor rebuilt, when I bought it it had a spun rod bearing. Is there something inside the cam that causes these to tear or what? I've tried everything knowing they're going to tear, I expect a snug fit but damn lol. At times I wish I had the spline style opti. So basically, do the o rings stop oil from leaking, or is that only the actual seal on timing cover?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically just another place to leak oil, great. Guess this will always have an oil leak because it tears the o rings everytime and I don't know why. Scouring the internet you'd think I was the only person that has happened to, because there's nothing on this lol. Puking oil is going to be the reason I dump this engine. Especially considering the oil leaking is utterly pointless.

·
Global Moderator
12,988 Posts
Have you tried lubricating o-rings with engine oil before installing opti? The oil can help o-rings slide into place without tearing.

And, are you absolutely sure o-rings are the correct ones for opti? You might want to find o-rings with a slightly smaller cross section that will still seal the oil in. But will not tear.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I've tried about everything I can think of. The o rings I've been trying have been the ones that come with the opti and ones from a timing cover kit. Without them it slides in and out pretty easily. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that tight of a fit or not lol, I know it's supposed to seal but damn. Idk if the cam itself is messed up or I'm just a being a whiner about it, I'm just tired of it leaking. At next replacement I'm going to have to probably pull the cover and double check it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There’s a chance the TC gasket is leaking slightly also, and running down the opti.
But since were discussing the o-rings specifically, try using a tiny bit of high temp ceramic brake grease (comes in a tube) on your seals and o-rings when installing them.
It helps things slide back together much easier, makes getting the piston back in the brake caliper after you’ve replaced the internal rubber seal a LOT easier.
I hope that helps some.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've thought about that possibility as well, figured it probably started leaking after the couple water pump and opti replacements. I did the water pump seal but that was it. I'll keep that grease in mind though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, so I've changed my opti more than I care to talk about, and everytime the same thing happens, the o rings rip. Does anyone know the point of the o rings, do they keep oil in? I had the motor rebuilt, when I bought it it had a spun rod bearing. Is there something inside the cam that causes these to tear or what? I've tried everything knowing they're going to tear, I expect a snug fit but damn lol. At times I wish I had the spline style opti. So basically, do the o rings stop oil from leaking, or is that only the actual seal on timing cover?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thru the towel in on my Opti Spark last year and installed the Torghead 24X system, plug and play. I now have a OB11 computer, ID as a 2002 Fire Bird with a "coil over sparkplug" set up and except for the CNC machined cam and crank housing and reluctor wheel all the sensors and coils are GM off the shelf items. I tapped the weep hole in the water pump and using a drilled out a 90 degree zerk grease fitting with a hose I re-routed it to drip harmlessly to the ground if it weeps or leaks. The system works great with a power increase and all new components, I'm good for another 100,000 miles...?
IMG_0557 (1).JPG
IMG_0557 (1).JPG

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a very nice setup, but the unit still goes in the factory opti location and utilizes the o rings lmao. I believe I would still have the same issue with them tearing and leaking oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts