LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my opti and when I got everything back on and tried to start the car it was cranking really hard and barely fired. When it did fire it would die right away. It seemed like it was 180 out of time, if it was an old school distributor. I double checked the plug wires, they are on right so I took it apart again and took the opti back off to make sure it was indexed right, it is. I put opti back on without the cap and brought the engine to tdc on number 1. The rotor is pointing to number four from what I could tell from shbox.com. Can you re-position the rotor or are they keyed, I haven't had it out yet?

·
Global Moderator
13,609 Posts
Also keep in mind that #1 will come to tdc on the firing stroke and on the exhaust stroke. To know for sure take #1 plug out and feel for compression when #1 comes to tdc.

Or you can remove valve cover and watch rocker arms and springs. On compression stroke both valves are closed at tdc #1. On exhaust stroke, exhaust valve will be partially open and intake should be beginning to open also, because of overlap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I am on the compression stroke, when the compression starts to build I kept turning the engine until the arrow on the balancer is at the 12 o'clock position. This should tdc on number 1. I did it again today and the rotor is pointing at number 4. Weird. I guess I am going to call MSD tomorrow unless you guys have any other suggestions

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
are you sure it's #4 that it's pointing to? you'd better check the rotor contact you're assuming is #4 with a test light

remember the optispark cap isnt wired straight to each plug wire like a regular distributor cap.. they're all over the place, to allow the plug wires to go to beside the block and maintain proper firing order.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, it's a 96 z28, msd opti. Yes it is number four, I ohmed out each point on the cap and it is pointing right at number 4. I never moved the engine without the distributor on, so I don't think the hub would be out of index.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
... I never moved the engine without the distributor on, so I don't think the hub would be out of index.
That really has nothing to do with it (if we're talking about the crank hub). If the crank hub has ever been off, it could have been put back with no regard to lining it up. Stock hubs have no keyway.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I'm getting ready to call msd today I'll let you guys know what they say about it.
All you have to do is take the opti and point the index mark on the back to the 1 or 6 index location and see where the rotor is pointing. Not sure if the MSD has this index marking like the stock opti, but you could easily match it up by pictures. If the rotor does not point to the correct location, the opti is at fault. Most often it is an install issue where the opti is not indexed properly to the cam dowel pin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Talked to msd and they said it was put together wrong and are gonna exchange it. Hopefully the new will work for me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts