LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a stock 1994 Trans Am LT1 Automatic. This was my first car I ever worked on so I made some mistakes. One of which was replacing the stock opti with a chinese knock off (I was broke at the time) It hasn't been running right and won't pass smog. I've replaced the spark plugs and the wires and the ignition coil. According to Smog place they say its incomplete combustion. So, I can only assume at this point its a crappy opti. If so I have 2 questions.

1. I still have the original which I think is still good (spark plug from ignition coil disintegrated when I took it off. Assumed it was bad and just replaced anyways). I tried reinstalling at appears the spline drive fell out. Can I get a new spline drive somewhere?

2. If not, I found a place on ebay that allegedly has an original rebuilt for a little over $500. He also has a MSD opti that has original mitsubishi sensor with high heat sealant and ventilation upgraded that $400. Would there be a quality/longevity difference?

3. If I do find a spline drive and original is bad would it be better/cheaper to rebuild the one I have?

Any info/help would be greatly appeciated

·
Global Moderator
13,060 Posts
Good luck finding the spline drive shaft. It was only used on 93-94 f-bodies & 92-94 corvettes. GM has long forgotten the part. Might find one on ebay.

·
Global Moderator
13,060 Posts
Forgot to add that msd opti used to come with the splinned shaft. Can't say if it still does. But you can ask msd.

Don't think GM opti has the shaft. But ask them also.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont see a spline drive there. To clarify I am just looking for the spline drive piece not the full optispark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello All,

I have a stock 1994 Trans Am LT1 Automatic. This was my first car I ever worked on so I made some mistakes. One of which was replacing the stock opti with a chinese knock off (I was broke at the time) It hasn't been running right and won't pass smog. I've replaced the spark plugs and the wires and the ignition coil. According to Smog place they say its incomplete combustion. So, I can only assume at this point its a crappy opti. If so I have 2 questions.

1. I still have the original which I think is still good (spark plug from ignition coil disintegrated when I took it off. Assumed it was bad and just replaced anyways). I tried reinstalling at appears the spline drive fell out. Can I get a new spline drive somewhere?

2. If not, I found a place on ebay that allegedly has an original rebuilt for a little over $500. He also has a MSD opti that has original mitsubishi sensor with high heat sealant and ventilation upgraded that $400. Would there be a quality/longevity difference?

3. If I do find a spline drive and original is bad would it be better/cheaper to rebuild the one I have?

Hello All,

Forget the Opti Spark Contact Paul at Torqhead.com
Hello All,

[/QUOTE
Forget the Opti Spark, contact Paul at TorqHead,com they have a complete 24X system that will plug and play the LT1 with a coil over plug system that does away with Opti Spark. I brought the system last year and it works great. My 94 Z28 now has a 2002 OB2 PCM.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks snipecastle2. Actually I found it at petris. It wasn't listed but they had it in stock. Bought before I saw your post, but I appreciate it.

Ya, the whole kit is $1600 which is way out of my budget that I want to spend. At least right now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts