LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the optispark replaced in my 95 z28 camero at a repair shop less than a year ago. Having the same symptoms again. The repair shop said that only the part is under warranty, not the labor. So im going to do the work myself this time. My question is, is there something else that has the same symptoms as a bad optispark. Ive already been told it was my catalytic converter. Paid 315.00 at Midas for a new converter and it still does the same thing. I started working on my car myself last year because i'ts too expensive to take it to a repair shop. The only reason I had it at Midas is because im broke down out of town and was told the catalyitic converter was the problem, and I didn't have access to welding equipment. As soon as I left Midas and my car reached operating temperature it started acting up. Obviously it wasn't the catylitic converter causing the problem. They were suppossed to diagnos my car before fixing anything. I think that since i am a woman, they thought i wouldnt question what they didnt do, which was find out if the coverter was what the immedate problem was. It wasn't. So ive been stranded out of town for a week and don't want to put a new opti in and still not be able to get home. It's a big job and don't really have any help.

·
Global Moderator
13,225 Posts
Most shops install parts store optis, which are either cheap China or re manufactured optis using cheap China parts. The MSD opti is the only new one you can buy. It's been hit or miss for the last few years.

So if you get an opti, use only GM, Delco, or Delphi brand opti. They are reman but the best of a sorry lot.

Here are some reference materials to help you learn. This site has a wealth of lt1 info. shbox.com

Next go to this site to download the 95 service manual. My Files

An often over looked piece of opti system is the pigtail connector that runs from opti to passenger side of intake manifold. They are often corroded & have burned wires. You can get a replacement on ebay.

If you plan on living with your lt1 car you will need a $70 PC based oscilloscope for opti low & high resolution signal testing. Scope is only 100% way of testing these signals. Other tools you need are; digital multimeter, noid light for testing fuel injectors, & obd 1 scanner that does codes & real time running sensor data.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts