LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i was wondering how often this dreaded opti-spark ignition unit fails? is it like after so many miles? when moisture gets in and around it? or something else... i just installed a brand new one and am hoping it will last longer than the first which was 81,000kms. Any help for making them last longer? Is aftermarket ones better than stocker ones? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
221 Posts
94formula said:
hey, i was wondering how often this dreaded opti-spark ignition unit fails? is it like after so many miles? when moisture gets in and around it? or something else... i just installed a brand new one and am hoping it will last longer than the first which was 81,000kms. Any help for making them last longer? Is aftermarket ones better than stocker ones? Thanks for the help
start saving and go LTCC or the other coil igniton... save yourself the worrys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
mine failed at 50K miles. My car sits a lot (1993 wtih 51K miles) MSD is releasing a full opti spark replacement. If you change to Delteq or some other ignition, you need a good optical sensor still. Usually that is what goes bad when the Opti pukes, so you still need one even if you dont hokk the plug wires to it. The coil systems use the sensor for timing and spark delivery.

If you go with a GM replacement :

THese guys sell on a 10% margin and have many in stock. NON vented range in the 300-350 range (MSRP 750) and VENTED 200-250 (MSRP 635)

Dal Slabaugh: 877-448-5451
email: [email protected]
VanDevere Buick/Pontiac/Olds (http://vandevere.com/) Akron, OH

or

Jason Cromer: 877-726-8295 or 850-243-8826 (direct parts dept ph #)
email: [email protected]
Sam Taylor Buick/Cadillac (http://samtaylor.com/html/parts.html) Ft. Walton Beach, FL

The MSD opti will run about 600 bucks, the Delteq is 700 (and you need a functioning opti sensor) the whole job (just did it myself) was about 4 hours but i also did a new water pump, plugs, wires and a bucng of electronics.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
I'm not sure the whole thing is available yet....but the MSD cap + rotor is in Summit.

·
Registered
221 Posts
get delteq or the ls1 ignition (LTCC).. both run about $700 and you needa functioning sensor.. in other words needa functioning opti.,.,. but the opti will last forever once you get one of these coil ignitions

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sure hope you checked the screws that hold the rotor on and put loctite on them, they've been known to be loose on a few brand new ones.

·
Registered
37 Posts
jaysz2893 said:
mine failed at 50K miles. ... you need a good optical sensor still. Usually that is what goes bad when the Opti pukes...
I must have had the odd-ball. Mine failed at 110K miles, and only because of insulation breakdown of the cap. The optical arrays were fine, with just a slight bit of film on the interruptor wheels and sensor arrays. I used a Borg-Warner replacement cap and rotor, and it's been running fine ever since. FYI - the cap was vented on my '94, which may have helped keep the array clean. Replacement was about $140.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ozzman here. changed opti fires but wont start. do you have to reset timing if so does it go like old school at no 1.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Do what? Also along with r3d. Way to bring a way old thread back from the dead.

·
Registered
165 Posts
MSD does offer a complete opti. I bought mine from summit it was $475. A little more then a gm replacement but I figured if I am gonna replace it might as well make it a good one. But the do have it out I have had mine on my car now for 6 weeks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just realized how old this thread is. So I hope everyone knows that msd has an opti on the market by now.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
doesnt this person keep doing that? bringing posts back from the dead I mean...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts