LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I sit on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed.my car started to spit and sputter eventually stopped all together and I can't help but wonder is this the opti problem everybody talks about.I was going 65 in 6th gear and boom ses light stall then coast to a stop,then no start.it did a small backfire early in the day.since then HEAVY RAIN.any input?I was a Pontiac tech in 95 but lt1's were new to 4g's we never had issues with the opti unless it got wet.the car has 105k on it

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Mine did the same thing when my wife and kids had the car while I was deployed. It sputtered, loss power and stalled. Only this time it restarted but only once. The high resolution signal ended up taking a leave of absence. Its a good chance that its the option. Many users have experienced the same symptoms but as Shoebox said it could still be anything. Do you have anymore info?

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
Get an obd1 scanner and scan for codes. 3 of the ignition codes don't light the ses. Have you tried starting car after engine cooled off. Icm fails when hot many times and works again when car cools down. Talke icm to auto parts store for testing. Insist they run several extra test cycles because of tendency to fail when hot.

Go to sticky threads of this section and open the diagnosing the optispark thread. Watch video run tests. shbox.com also has opti tests and coil also.

Have you checked to see if spark is present. Use a loading type spark tester, as it simulates combustion pressures found in the cylinder.

If good spark, you might want to check fuel pressure with a gauge for the proper 41 psi or above at key on prime.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I tried to start it after it cooled down still no start I'm back on the road I am a truck driver I won't be home for 3 weeks when I get home I'll do some more trouble shooting but I will go ahead and order a new crank seal and a new water pump and a new opti because if it isn't bad now it will be at some point . It's the nature of the beast with these cars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think i have exactly the same issues since tomorrow morning.
When my car sit for the night it runs pretty poor the first 10 minutes with no power when you floor it a little bit but today suddenly it made boom and there were only missfirings and it sputtered a lot i could only take it to the lot with 1/8 throttle more throttle meant a lot of bangs and sputtering

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
I assume you have a 94 car, as your screen name TA94 Austria suggests. If you can obtain an obd1 scanner in Europe, I suggest scanning for codes. The 3 big ignition codes that will shut car down don't light the check engine light.

If you can't get an American type obd1 scanner, may I suggest ordering a cable that hooks your car's ALDL to the usb port of your laptop or notebook computer. You can get such a cable at ALDL OBD1 OBD cable OBDI OBD2 engine codes Get the 12 pin cable it's $60 US. I believe they will ship to Europe.

Then go to the 4th gen section and look for the thread titled "Obd1 scan program for free" Open thread, click link and download the free obd1 scan program especially made for 94 & 95 f-body cars. It scans for codes, not just regular codes , but ABS & SIR codes also. It does running sensor scans so you can see what the sensors are reading while running.

if you don't know what sensor reading mean, Private message me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the pdf file of "sensor readings and what they mean". It will help you keep in practice with your English.

·
Registered
60 Posts
if it was raining like that then you got water up in your opti. theres 4 holes in the bottom of it for some odd reason and when water gets up in there, youre screwed till it dries out, put a hair drier up underneath it for a good 15-20 min then give her a try

1 - 13 of 13 Posts