LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, the last 2 gear installs I've done in my firebird have howled. I did 3:55's in my mustang and they don't make a sound. I followed all the instructions out there to the letter. Set the preload, checked the backlash. Both seemed to be in spec.

So is there anything I might not be aware of, that can cause the dreaded howl? Tired of hearing the gears whine when I'm driving that car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i was told that all richmond gears howl is that the brand you used in all 3?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've read and heard the same thing that some particular brands howl and some don't . Not to sure about that yet

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm running richmond american and after reading about the howl I spoke to the shop that did the install for me and they confirmed the RA gears are notorius for the whine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stang gears are factory Ford out of a Mercury Marauder. The firebirds are Richmond. What other brands are known for howling? I want to avoid that at all costs. What is GM's brand? With ford you can just buy Ford Motorsport.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
good gears make some noise even at specified lash, it's something you have to live with

personally i would always run it for a while, then pull the inspection cover and inspect wear pattern. that way you have peace of mind that the noise isn't a bad thing. if it's good, throw it back together and away you go. changing oil is a good thing after breaking in gears anyway.

i've quieted them down a little bit with a thicker aftermarket diff cover, but most of the noise is resonance through the entire assembly that's hard to get rid of

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok now I've got a question about setting the pre-load on the pinion gear.

1. How many inch pounds is the preload supposed to be? Its the firebird formula with the 7.5" rearend.

2. Can I use this torque wrench to set the preload? As you can see, it measures in foot lbs. So I can still use it, as long as I just divide whatever the number is by 12, correct? So for example: If I need to set something to 15 inch pounds, then My needle would be in between the first and second line from zero. That sound about right?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good gears make some noise even at specified lash, it's something you have to live with

personally i would always run it for a while, then pull the inspection cover and inspect wear pattern. that way you have peace of mind that the noise isn't a bad thing. if it's good, throw it back together and away you go. changing oil is a good thing after breaking in gears anyway.

i've quieted them down a little bit with a thicker aftermarket diff cover, but most of the noise is resonance through the entire assembly that's hard to get rid of
They say running thicker full synthetic oil, combined with a thicker differential cover can reduce noise. Anyone know what gears are known for whining the least? I take it its GM Goodwrench or AC-Delco?

·
Registered
131 Posts
stock gears dont wine in my car and i dont remember any howling coming from my 373s although i dont know the brand

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't see how richmond can stay in business if they're known for howl.
they make quailty proformance parts, if you want a fast car, you want the best parts even if there is a lil whine, but if you dont want a fast car keep it stock or drive your moms civic (not being rude at all bro) richmond are the only gears id use if i wasnt going stock

·
Registered
99 Posts
My richmonds howl at low speeds. No you don't use a clicker type torque wrench, you can use a dial type or digital type to set preload, my gears called for 26 inch pounds of preload on the pinion.

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
Do yourself a favor by getting a smaller inch pound torque wrench. Here's one reason to. Your beam type torque wrench reads most accurately middle of the scale. Anywhere other than the middle of the scale will be off in it's reading. Then your trying to guestimate the proper place to take the reading so you end up FUBAR.

And don't sweat the money for the new torque wrench. Since you seem to have changing gears down, except for the torque thing, your friends, and friends of friends will be coming to you to do the job on their cars. You'll make your money back and then some.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think I used Randy's gears in my Z and little to no whine. Also used a solid pinion sleeve, Summit diff cover, ARP studs, Auburn posi, superior axles. 6 years later no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts