LS1LT1 Forum banner

One wheel wonder

Question 
2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  4gwhitechicken 
#1 ·
Alright guys quick question. I got a 95 T/A A4 143k and as usual my faithful 10 bolt is acting up. When a first got the car i had to replace the c-clips for the axles then after that replaced the fluid again cause it was making a funny noise which has gone away but a while back I hit a small curb just hard enough to pop the tire off the rim no damage done so I put the donut on there drove it 2 miles had the tire fixed and drove home. Well ever since then it hasn't wanted to corner like it used to I used to be able to get the rear end to slide out no matter what left or right turn wet or dry and now I'm lucky to get it to slide without it just breaking loose just the inside tire and doing a one wheel wonder. So my question is did I screw something up when I put the Spare on the car like the diff bearings or such or is the diff just slowly going to crap? Any help is appreciated
Tim

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Hi, I had a similar problem with my car. It culminated in my axle shaft flying out... While that was an extreme, I'm guessing your root problem is the same. The limited slip diff is wearing out and not working. If you open up your rear axle and look at the diff, you'll see a gap in the spider gears that shouldn't be there, at least that's what happened to mine. You'll want to get that fixed.

#6 ·
That's what I did with mine. I pulled a good carrier from a junk 9c1 caprice 8.5" (looked it over to make sure I was good) and put that in. I was going to do it myself, but I got frustrated and brought it to a shop, the charged me $350 to finish it. Not a bad deal, all said and done it cost around $800, but I replaced my axle shafts and put on new gears. If you just replace the carrier, it would cost much less.

#8 ·
i'm so old burnouts aren't cool to me anymore.i guess it's good to know you can do 1,but my oldlady's 2012 fiesta 4 door can burn em down.
what's duz that prove?
it's still SLOW
i say save your tires and the possible reckless driving ticket
fix it and reserve exhibitions of speed for the drag strip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.