LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To scare the crickets away let's discuss stock size sway bars shall we?

Listed from stiffest to softest, front bars came in the following flavors:

34mm solid

36mm hollow

34mm hollow

32mm solid

30mm solid

28mm solid

Rear bars, all solid, start with the ultra-rare 25mm bar found only on a few Pontiac Firebirds. Moving from the stiffest to the softest, rear bars were also available in flavors of:

25mm

24mm

23mm

21mm

18mm

12mm

In order to differentiate the hollow bars from the solid, look for the small blow holes near the end link seat area on the underside.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't seem to have a 3rd gen either. :p

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
The '82 Berlinetta V6 didn't have a rear swaybar from the factory. The front was smaller than the '86 SC V8 donor car, so I moved both bars over to the Berlinetta when the V8 went in, as well as the front springs. The rear springs were recent replacements when I got the car.

I like the ride, but the cornering could use improvement. I've considered getting upgrade swaybars, especially the rear, but it just hasn't hit the top of the wish list.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the factory even know what suspension was in '82? :roflmao:

Know what size you got now?

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
The rear is tiny. The front is whatever the smallest V8 bar they put in, but bigger than the V6 was.

I would think upgrading the rear would have the most effect, but both wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably both would be better. You have a RWD app, you want the front first and bigger than the rear, otherwise we'll start callin' you ricer when you try a hard turn and your ass end pops in the air... well, maybe Kev or Benny would call you fresh meat? :roflmao:

·
Registered
23 Posts
haha

i actually learned some good info there...anyone know what sizes came on 1991 z28 305 5 speeds? (is there an actual RPO for the sway bars?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts