LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm looking at Oil pumps at the minute for my 383 LT1 build.
Total Seal replied to my piston ring query and stated NOT to use a High Volume Oil pump as it would swamp their rings in a 383.

I've been looking at the Melling 155 which is std on the LT1.
They also have a Select pump listed:10554 Std Vol Std Pressure.

Is it worth the extra cash?
Would anyone run it with the higher pressure spring ?

Thanks
Mitch

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I guess I fail to see the reason you can't run a high volume pump, and what the rings have to do with it.

If bearing clearances dictate a high volume pump, you're going to need to run a high volume pump. If their rings won't handle the throw off from a rotating assembly with race clearances and a high volume pump, I don't want them in my engine...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I guess I fail to see the reason you can't run a high volume pump, and what the rings have to do with it.

If bearing clearances dictate a high volume pump, you're going to need to run a high volume pump. If their rings won't handle the throw off from a rotating assembly with race clearances and a high volume pump, I don't want them in my engine...
I agree 100%. I am using a 10% HV Melling select with Total Seal AP steel top ring, napier second, and standard tension oil rings. No problems here.

·
Global Moderator
13,428 Posts
I believe the main reason people don't recommend the hv pump is because they use it with a standard capacity oil pan which can get pumped dry pretty quick by the hv pump.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
I believe the main reason people don't recommend the hv pump is because they use it with a standard capacity oil pan which can get pumped dry pretty quick by the hv pump.
you got it, even the stock oil pump has a tendancy to empty the pan on a steep incline at high rpms. i wouldn't want to be pumping more oil unless i had higher capacity or faster recovery rate.

·
Registered
807 Posts
you got it, even the stock oil pump has a tendancy to empty the pan on a steep incline at high rpms. i wouldn't want to be pumping more oil unless i had higher capacity or faster recovery rate.
I WAS WONDERING IF, the stock oil pan could be filled with
a little additional oil to protect against such a senario,by maybe a quart or so.I know overfilling is not suggested but just wondering if the stocker
could be capable of handling a little additional oil. ed

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I WAS WONDERING IF, the stock oil pan could be filled with
a little additional oil to protect against such a senario,by maybe a quart or so.I know overfilling is not suggested but just wondering if the stocker
could be capable of handling a little additional oil. ed
IIRC Ford apparently did that with the Boss 302. Just moved the dot on the dipstick up half an inch and added 2Qts to the pan.

Mitch

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I did ask for a suggestion for suitable streetable ring set as nothing was listed under 11lb tension on their website (dated 2008)
This was their Reply:

MITCH,
If it is normally aspirated, mild boost, mild nitrous I would use our set # MH2010 35 this will have a ductile iron gapless, Napier 2nd ring and a 13-14lb oil ring. Other thing to avoid in that application is high volume oil pump these are a real problem in the 383 combo they flood the cylinder. The longer stroke pulls the piston out of the bottom of the bore this can lead to oil issues especially in street cars where they idle for long periods, cruise at part throttle etc things race engines rarely do.
Best Regards

Keith Jones
Technical

22642 N. 15th Ave
Phoenix AZ 85027 USA
Ph 800-874-2753 or 623-587-7400
FX 623-587-7600
[email protected] / Total Seal Home

Just asking.
Mitch

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree 100%. I am using a 10% HV Melling select with Total Seal AP steel top ring, napier second, and standard tension oil rings. No problems here.
What tension are the (std) oil rings though?

What's the advantage of the Steel top Ring over the ductile iron?

Thanks
Mitch

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Not sure on the tension of the oil ring. I will see if it is on the build sheet and let you know. AP steel top rings are more reliable for large shots of nitrous.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts