LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of replacing my intake manifold gaskets to repair an oil leak and thought it might be a good idea to make sure the oil sender isn't leaking as well.

I applied Permatex thread sealant (with PTFE) on the threads of the elbow that screws into the block. My concern is when I tighten the elbow to snug the elbow won't line up properly for the sender to clear the manifold. As it sits right now its approximately 180 degrees out of wack when tight. When I backed it off so it will line up correctly it is still somewhat snug but I'm just not sure if it'll be snug enough not to leak under pressure.

I can't imagine the frustration I may have once I button it all up just to find the oil pressure sender leaking. Any thoughts on this? How good is thread sealant when under the strain of oil pressure?

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
pipe thread and 90 degree elbows are pretty awful, huh

i never would have taken that elbow out.

but yeah as long as pipe thread is snug with dope on it, it'll probably be fine

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
be aware that too much thread dope on that elbow will screw with the necesssary grounding between block->elbow->sender too.. you should only use pipe sealant on the top half of the threads, not the whole thing. just thought that was worth mentioning.

·
Registered
807 Posts
If you are familiar with using teflon tape,I would go a few extra wraps on the threads and position the elbow where its supposed to sit. I think you will be fine after that. ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i never would have taken that elbow out.
When I had my car up on the lift I noticed the threads on the elbow were oily. It could've been from the rear intake seal but I didn't want to risk it.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts