LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have several oil leaks on my LT1. It looks like somewhere in the front, either the opti and or the water pump seals. Also the rear, definitely the line bolted on the passenger side head, probably the intake and definitely the low oil sender. I also need to replace the ac compressor and evaporator. There is about 70k on the car. Do you guys recommend fixing one at a time or just pulling the engine and doing everything?

·
Global Moderator
13,065 Posts
It would be a more effective use of your time to fix all the problems. However many people fix the rear intake oil leak without removing engine from car.

The pipe bolted to rear of heads are steam pipes for the reverse cooling system. They shouldn't leak oil, as they carry steam from hot coolant.

But do the job the way that's easiest for you. If removing engine & transmission makes it better for you, do it that way.

If you do remove engine, I suggest taking a good look at your freeze plugs. Most of them are a bummer to R & R with engine/trans in car. If coolant has been changed regularly doing 25 years of car's use, then freeze plugs will be in good shape. But if cooling system has had little or no service, freeze plugs could be on their last legs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  1. Thanks for the reply. I never thought about the freeze plugs. The coolant system has never been serviced as far as I know. If those pipes on the back of the heads are steam pipes then I'm concerned the intake is likely leaking and blowing oil on there. I know I could fix the intake with the engine in the car but if I take it down that far and I need to disassemble the front for oil leaks I might as well do heads cam and long tubes. Can long tubes be installed on the engine out of the car and the whole thing put in as one?
Here is a video of the back of the manifold, do you guys think it looks like it's leaking. VID_20200402_103708.mp4

Is an electric water pump recommended if I replace the timing set?

·
Registered
6 Posts
  1. Thanks for the reply. I never thought about the freeze plugs. The coolant system has never been serviced as far as I know. If those pipes on the back of the heads are steam pipes then I'm concerned the intake is likely leaking and blowing oil on there. I know I could fix the intake with the engine in the car but if I take it down that far and I need to disassemble the front for oil leaks I might as well do heads cam and long tubes. Can long tubes be installed on the engine out of the car and the whole thing put in as one?
Here is a video of the back of the manifold, do you guys think it looks like it's leaking. VID_20200402_103708.mp4

Is an electric water pump recommended if I replace the timing set?
It depends on whether you pull the engine out the top or drop the cradle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts