LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got offered a full drop out engine with a factory lt4 setup for $1k. I'm pretty sure I should do it. My question for everyone is my car is a 93 TA and the drop out is from a 96 TA how hard would it be to swap the harness too so my car wasnt such a bitch to tune? I really love my car but kinda regret buying the 93 because of the chip burning aspect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don’t have the answer you’re looking for so I apologize for taking your time.
But, if you don’t find/figure out all the details of the swap, or decide it’s too much of a project, I would be interested in the LT4 engine.
I do hope you get it in your car, I’m sure you would enjoy it immensely.

·
Global Moderator
12,943 Posts
There are several basic differences between 93 & 96 standard lt1 engines. These include the opti, timing gears & timing cover. The fuel rails, the ecm of a 93 does not control the automatic trans, and 96 uses the 4l60e auto trans rather than 700r4/4l60 trans.

The coil/ icm connectors are different, so you would have to use your 93 coil / icm assembly. So you would use your ecm, wiring harness, and auto trans with the 96 lt4 engine. 96 engine has a crank sensor, but you can ignore it if using 93 ecm & wiring. Probably some other minor details I haven't remembered.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very good and detailed explanation of the changes required to use the 96 motor in a 93 vehicle.
It would also require managing the transmission control differences.
Correct me if I’m wrong but the 93 requires significant tuning changes to the pcm to get it to work with the 700 transmission, and the way tuning changes are made to the 93’s pcm is a good bit more involved than the 94-95 OBDI years. I’m not sure but you might be better off upgrading to the 94-95 OBDI pcm and harness with under dash connector to make all the tuning changes you’re looking at having to do much easier.
That’s why I made the offer I did.
I honestly hope you do decide to do the conversion, as you came up on a great engine to swap in still keeping with the LT platform.
It will drop right into my 96 ImpalaSS.
If you determine it’s just too much work, I would be interested in the engine should you decide to sell it off instead of installing it. I intend to put it on an engine stand and build the hell out of it to have as a drop in that I will have to R&R every two years with my relatively stock engine for smog testing purposes, but it would be worth it to me to be able to drive around with a specialty built high performance non CA smog restricted LT4 engine here in So Cal.
🤫
Thank You for your time !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for in the info. Honestly from more research I think I'd just be better off power wise getting a set of ported le1's with a matching cam for only a couple hundred more and having tuned. The swap seems like more of a hassle than its worth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, that’s my understanding of it, you really need to have a special place in your heart to do the steps required for the 93 to 96 upgrade which is really the pcm/sensors incompatibility problems. Did they make the LT4 in 1994 or 1995 ?
If they did, that would be the ideal drop in for you to do.
All plug and play basically.
Soooo...
Whadda ya think you’re gonna do with that LT4 engine if you decide not to use it ?
Any thoughts ?
Sorry it wasn’t a 95 engine that got dropped in your hands.
I would have been quite happy for you.
Best wishes...

·
Registered
29 Posts
And by doing the upgrade, you also remove a much easier way to tune your pcm than the 96 is...
Much easier and better...
I don’t know if you could still use the ‘96 LT4 engines and change only the knock sensors...
Keeping your ‘93 pcm and harness..
I don’t know if all the ALDL pinouts and connectors configuration by year, or if they’re the same.
Anyone ???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have to double check with him. I know 100% he is pulling to LS swap the car but not totally sure when he plans to do it. I told him I probably wasnt going to be interested last time I saw him. Where are you located? We are in Mass.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ahhh....
Probably a Deal Killer...
I’m in So Cal...
I would have to look into it to be sure.
But I believe Shipping would be substantial and prohibitive.
But thank you for your time and the response !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts