LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to this forum. This is probably a topic most of you dont typically see here but I need help with my transmission swapped 83 El Camino.

The previous owner swapped the engine and transmission with that of a 83 Camaro. He also swapped it from column shift to console/floorshift, although never hooked up the "gear select switch/Neutral Safety Backup-light Switch". Thus the reason the reverse lights never worked and car can be started in any gear.

Anyways, I've purchase a universal rewire kit from Painless and I have everything wired except this switch. I dont have an OEM harness or plug to it so I wanted to just clip individual wires to each prong. Can anyone tell me what each prong does on this switch so I can wire it up properly?

I've contacted all the parts stores, wrecking yards, Chevrolet customer service, and quite a few forums with no luck.
Screenshot_20200724-140032_Chrome.jpg

·
Global Moderator
13,163 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
All I have is a 83 firebird wiring diagram to go by. But GM was pretty consistent with they're wire colors going to components
Cavity A black/white wire to ground
Cavity B orange/black wire to ecm park neutral input
Cavity C dark blue wire from turn, back up light fuse
Cavity D light green wire to back up lights
Cavity E purple wire to starter solenoid
Cavity F yellow wire, power from electrical part of ignition switch

This was factory GM wiring to oem park neutral switch. Hope painless kept GM wiring scheme.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying each "cavity" is each prong? And are those in order from top to bottom on the plug?

·
Global Moderator
13,163 Posts
Each cavity has a corresponding prong. The switch and it;s oem connector is lettered from A to F I can't tell you if the A to F starts on left & goes to right or visa versa. 83 manual does not show connector that goes on switch.

I had to use a 90 wire diagram which still has A to F. From the look of the connector and the plastic clip that holds it to the switch, it looks like if you connect wires to switch with it as pictured in your pic, that A starts on left side.

Doesn't the switch itself have the prongs lettered? If not, there are many wiring pigtails available online.

Try Ebay first. It appears that connector is probably the same for most 82-92 GM cars with console mounted shifter. The wire pigtail should be lettered as to which prong is witch. It will also have correct wire colors if you can find a 82-96 one. Newer cars had the theft deterrent relay that changed 1 or 2 of the wire colors.

If Ebay doesn't have the wire pigtail you need, do a google search. Don't be specific to year, etc. Just search for GM wire pigtails. And GM wire connectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts