LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 Camaro, LT1, #2 cylinder never fires at all. I know this because I have headers and i sprayed the headers with water. I changed all the plugs and all the wires to no avail. Sound like a cracked cap? BTW, I tried #2 with a different plug in it laying against the header, no spark.:LS1LT1flag:

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
the distributor is the only thing that would ever cause that. replace it as a complete unit.

however, your diagnosis sounds sketchy. the header is NOT a known good ground especially if they are coated (ceramic or paint). spraying water on the headers? could still be that injector isn't firing.

just to be sure, ground your test sparkplug with a jumper cable to a known good ground and try again before you go any further.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I also got a longer spark plug wire and put it in the #2 cylinder location on the distributor cap, put a spare plug in it and laid it on the alternator. I actually grabbed ahold of the plug with the car running and nothing at all. Spraying water on the exhaust header by the head on each cylinder is a great way to determine which cylinder is not firing. The water will instantly steam off on a firing cylinders header tube because that cylinder is burning the fuel mixture where as a dead cylinder would have a cold header tube.

·
Registered
131 Posts
could it be the computer is not allowing the fire? iv heard that on some vehicles that if its fould for so long or something that the computer will not even let it fire? im not sure on anything just really curious about that?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree with steveo . Seems like the opti has an issue internally with the number 2 firing path . Prolly time for a new one .

·
Registered
406 Posts
Likely opti.. but could be just a worn cap, no 2 cyl post.. if u happen to have an extra cap laying round try that first.. or sometines cleaning um will do the trick

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
could it be the computer is not allowing the fire? iv heard that on some vehicles that if its fould for so long or something that the computer will not even let it fire? im not sure on anything just really curious about that?
the way the ECM, ignition, and timing reference system is designed on these cars, that's pretty much impossible to happen to only one cylinder. there are no seperate coil drivers to burn out; spark just happens at interval in the ecm.

even a problem with the optical high res pulse so specific to just kill spark (and fuel) to that one cylinder, like a nice glob of crap on that one part of the wheel, would definitely throw a missing high res pulse code.

it has to be in the high voltage side of the opti, there's really no question at this point, and with that serious of a failure, the entire unit should be replaced.

i'd wager when that cap comes off, the contact falls right out of the rotor or something.

·
Registered
494 Posts
yea im with steveo. either the contact is completely broken or burnt to a crisp. only way to find out is to take the cap off and check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cap pulled and Definately a burnt spot in it. My original guess was correct, thanks for all the input though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts