LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Firebird with a 3.8L 3800 in it and just finished replacing a cam because I had a knock. The cam had a shaved lobe on the front. Replaced lifters also. Had great oil pressure before the replacement, now don't have oil pressure and assuming that no oil is getting to the top. Please help!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm not 100% sure with your car but normally you pull the valve cover off and start the car and tighten or losses the nut in the center of the rocker arm. If the rocker arm is rattling then it's loose and you can over tighten them also. When you tighten then turn it until the motor bogs down just a little and then back it up about a quarter turn. But you can get a book on it and it will tell you how to also

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, after running it a little and making sure that the oil pump works - it clicks a little when it idles but not really when the rpms are higher.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Did u use way too much assembly lube? I could see that clogging up your oil journals if you have too much. Also with the valve covers off and the engine on, go one by one. Loosen a rocker arm bolt until it begins to tick then slowly tighten it until it stops ticking then you be the judge, a 1/4 turn more or a 1/2 turn more. Once thats finished your valves should be properly adjusted.
If ur noy getting any oil pressure make sure your oil pump is working properly also. Do not make a costly mistake . Infact while ur doin the valves make sure oil is getting to the top ( you'll see it, itll be every where)
Could be a faulty guage.

·
Global Moderator
13,118 Posts
Did you replace the cam bearings when you changed the cam? If you did, did you make sure the oil holes were in the correct location?

If you kept the old cam bearings, did you inspect the oil holes to see if they were clear?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts