LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering going the LTs and No cats route. I live in texas and have a question for some of you guys. If I do this will my car pass inspection if they dont notice the cat is missing, or will it polute horribly and fail? Someone told me something about how any car older than 96 didnt have to do the sniffer, don't know if its true or not.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
You're going to have to tell us something about TX emissions. The testing strictness varies from state to state.

however, my best guess is they are going to look under the car for cats like they do here. At a minimum you'll need cat shells over your Y pipe or real cats.

And you have it backwards, any cars 96+ don't do the sniffer, they are instead plugged in where an OBDII computer diagnostic is run to check emissions equipment and for codes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have hooker headers longtubes with a three inch y-pipe exhuast with a hollowed out cat basicly strait pipe.... here in texas if ur car is ten years or older u dont have to have a cat on.... I have one on but like i said its a dummy its really a strait pipe just for the dps troopers dont say shit.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was doing some research on Texas emissions myself and I found they have a "hobbiest waiver" if you drive less than 3k miles a year and spend like 100$ on an attempt to "fix" emissions.

Maybe this helps you if its not your daily driver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 96' z28 6speed is my daily driver. Thats becuase i got (hooker headers longtubes, 3inch y-pipe exhuast, forged internals, port & polished heads, ported intake, underdrive pulleys, stage 2 centerforce clutch, 4.10 gears, k&n cold air induction, cpu tuned. Lightweight flywheel, lightweight driveshaft.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
In texas there strict but theres ways around it like a dummy cat just hollow it out to a strait pipe they'll never know. Also u cant have ur exhuast dumped so thats where u weld up the dummy exhuast tips so it seems that u got ur exhaust all the way to the back u know?. Or of course put a cut-out if u want also.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
yeah i would either gut a cat and throw it on there or buy a dummy one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts