LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a couple simple questions i was wondering wat my next mods should be to my car and how light can i get the vert i know there heavy cars from the factory and wasnt intended for performance as much as ride quality with the soft compound tires it came with ive already lightened it up as far as removing the trunk interior,top motor,spare tire jack,back seats,buckles and belts,pass. seat and wiper fluid reservoir just looking for advice had the car for little over a year (other mods are in sig)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dunno if I seen it, but you can make the Vert Top Manual. Remove the pump and stuff to shave of some more weight. I'm just too lazy :D

·
Registered
861 Posts
U can remove the manifolds and cats get headers and a ypipe depends on were u live if they have emissions or not and if u can remove the cats then get rid of the smog pump all that is good for 50lbs or more

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah ive removed the top motor its in the truck on the drivers side doesnt weigh much today i removed the rear bumper support that was a pain in the a$$,wat brand headers would is good and inexpensive i see alot of guys running pacesetter with the match y pipe will it connect to the factory intermidiate pipe without having to weld it so i can remove it sorry if im asking alot just got into the f body seen a year ago

·
Registered
861 Posts
I got pacesetters with the ceramic coat i like them sounds good i think the ypipe should hook right up to the factory exaust i no it hooked right up to my borla but if ur gona do headers u might as well get an aftermarket catback exaust system then ull notice more power increase

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would it hurt to get a 3in to 2 1/2inch adapter and dumping it under the car (i know itll get louder) should notice the difference even if it drops down to a 2 1/2. after full bolt ons and 1.6 rrs on stock cam what is the maxed people seen outta of these things without goin to far into the motor its my daily for nowand spraying it is up in the air at this point being between jobs if you know wat i mean:craz28:

·
Registered
861 Posts
I think im 3 1/2 into a 4" not sure mine was all done when they did the cam and head install with boltons and a tune u may get somewhere around 310 or so to the tire. Theese cars are only around 260 to the tire stock with cam heads and all that good stuff ud get 400 to the tire. I wouldnt waste my time on rrs unless u put a bigger cam in it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whats the best cam for a stock headed lt1 or best bang for the buck

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ive got a comp cam in mine alot of guys like loyd eliot cam and head combos

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i hear the same loyd has agreat setup but doesnt come with all the essentials for a basic cam only maybe ported heads stock bottem end whats all needed roughly what would it cost

·
Registered
265 Posts
I got the LT Pacesetters with the OR Y-pipe. Didn't weld a single piece.

I did all mine for about $2k but that also included some Preventive Maintenance Items not to mention re-shaving the heads. If I had to guess for the improved parts dept I would say it all ran me about $1400ish (give or take a hundred).

Next year I'm porting the heads (shoulda done that grr) changing out to a more durable transmission and adding a stall converter at that time.

If you go LT Headers, be sure to switch to Poly Mounts if you haven't already. The Headers will bang under the floor pans if ya don't.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well you could probly get a comp cam not really sure what size. Yeah im sure u will see results with it but ur better off with heads and combo c our cars dont bennifit like the ls1s do they already have great flowing heads so a cam will do alot i saw a 2000 ss with a cam only and headers and catback dyno 385 at the tire i was jelous because of what i had in my car and was only making 400 at the tire. But i think u can get a cam for around $300-$500 something like that

·
Registered
861 Posts
I had $2000 for my cam and heads my heads were custom made their supose to be bout the same as loyd eliot thats were the guy that i had built my car goes to get heads is a local shop by his buisness and hes done 100s of fbodys hes the best around here. I had him do everthing to my car i have no time to work on it i work 60 + hrs a wk. with everything they did to my car it was only $1200 leighbor that was to port polish intake i stall heads and cam install tb headers y pipe 32 lb injectors new plugs new wires basically a hole new top end plus he had to tune it i had way more in parts then leighbor but scince it was all apart it was cheaper to just do everything. And im probly not gonna get into the bottom end because its only good for another 50 hp and 450 is all you will make with a head cam street pump gas car now thats to the tire and thats a 396cu lt1

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
already have subframe connectors yeah poly is on the wy along with the trans mount im on my third one (i have to much fun with the car)and far as a head cam combohow long will these bottem last if i just do heads and cam spinning to bout 6200-6400ish rpm and built tranny with 3.42 gears (havent got them yet but where im at its easy to find the whole rear end for 200 cash)far as rear coil springs for the back are ss or ws6 springs stiffer than z28s (its hooks nasty having the mods to the suspension nowbefore it was all over the placei got beatfromthe dig by a mustang gt with intake/exhaust

Mustang GT Vs Camaro lt1 - YouTube

·
Registered
861 Posts
Honestly if ur a 6spd car u better invest in something like a dana 60 because u can ask anyone our 10 bolts are junk they ok with autos. If ur an auto do 3.73s if ur a 6spd 4.11s all the way i would start with the rear and suspension stuff that goes along ways and i wouldnt waste my time getting oem suspension i go with aftermarket like bmr or umi. Torqe arm pan hard bars and a swaybar. As far as the bottom end theyll last along time but i wouldnt shit above 6000 thats pointless u make peak torqe at 4800 i shift at 5100 so im right back in the torqe ban if u was an ls1 u could shift at 6200 but u do that with a lt1 u maybe changin a bearing soon

·
Registered
265 Posts
Honestly if ur a 6spd car u better invest in something like a dana 60 because u can ask anyone our 10 bolts are junk they ok with autos. If ur an auto do 3.73s if ur a 6spd 4.11s all the way i would start with the rear and suspension stuff that goes along ways and i wouldnt waste my time getting oem suspension i go with aftermarket like bmr or umi. Torqe arm pan hard bars and a swaybar. As far as the bottom end theyll last along time but i wouldnt shit above 6000 thats pointless u make peak torqe at 4800 i shift at 5100 so im right back in the torqe ban if u was an ls1 u could shift at 6200 but u do that with a lt1 u maybe changin a bearing soon
I wouldn't shit either above 6000...not enough air for the grunts :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
true ive done all the suspension work to the car nothing is oe except springs everything is umi or bmr not to sure.i manually shift my auto most of the time being a 2.73 car i did the first gear mod cutting that stopper out i shift at 6000 that aint to bad just kinda questioning the g80 what isthe best lsd and axle shafts for the 10 bolt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
look at my sig all mods are listed and sway bars are stock my bad :craz28:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Another thing u can do to shave some weight off the car is to go with an aftermarket kmember that can b good for about 80lbs of weight shavings off the front end

1 - 20 of 27 Posts