LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new here with quick question. I've got a 96 camaro lt1 w/ an erratic temp gauge. The gauge will slowly climb to the hottest point and won't drop until you shut the key off, but the kicker is that with a tech 2 the temp doesn not get hotter than it should. I put a new temp sensor and a new cluster which made it better b/c on the old cluster the temp gauge would peg out and not come down even after cycling the key. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
108 Posts
coolant temp sending unit has been replaced?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is your coolant system bled completely? I know right after when I flushed my radiator my temp gauge would slowly climb, but I shut off the car before it got to the red, so I kept adding coolant and turning the car on until it was fixed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've never had this problem on my LT1 but I have on my GF's contour. On that there is a temp sensor and a temp sender. It ended up her temp. sender was not plugged in. Any ways while I was researching this I found out that if the temp sender or sensor is grounded anywhere it will peg the gague hot. You may want to check the wiring for a ground somewhere.

The second thing you could check is if you replaced the correct temp sensor. There were 2 on my 87 TPI engine, one for the fans and one for the gague. once again not sure about LT1's.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
the reason the Tech 2 isnt reading out of limits is because there are 2 temp sensors on the car. the one on the water pump sends its readings to the pcm which is what your Tech 2 is reading, the one on the driver's side head sends its readings to the gauge.

check the wiring on the sensor in the head and make sure its not burnt or frayed anywhere, and replace that sensor and bleed the hell out of the system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts