LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just got my 94 z28 running awesome. Just replaced the optispark and it drives like new ....
I also replaced the water pump with a new ASC pump from aci due to it leaking from the weep hole. I got the new one put on and this ones leaking from the weep hole :(

Is this a defective unit? There was a lil bit of that nasty shiny stop leak in the coolant and I didn't flush the motor just the radiator. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
a very very tiny amount of leakage from the weep hole on a new pump may go away. sometimes dry seals that have been sitting on a parts shelf for who knows how long will 'swell' when the water soaks in.

but if we're talking more than a drop here, it's a defective pump. lots of aftermarket pumps are dead right out of the box.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it drips for more than about 5 minutes, its a bad pump. I agree with Cocobolo95, stick with GM pumps

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i got the pump off its definately coming from the weep hole.
after having to top it off 3 times, i figured id look from under the car.
odd enough, looks like a black skid mark coming from the weep hole....idk what that was about but im going for my replacement, porbaly a gm cause i dont wanna do this another time. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
you might consider a Meziere electric water pump. What I did 13 years ago because of GM WP's constantly leaking from weep hole. It was $200 and has 85k miiles on it now

the kit involves gutting the stock WP and putting in a freeze plug in the housing. The EWP does have a weep hole...in the bottom front so if it ever does leak it won't piss on opti.

you need to wire up a relay for a EWP

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I'm an idiot so rry guys....I already exchanged the pump for another one when I just relized I didn't apply any lock thread on the bolts to seal them :eek:.
the pump most likely was leaking from the bolt and the fluid was running towards the Weep hole. Amateur mistake won't happen again

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok yall ill got the pump in again no leaks yet.

Unfortonately the car is still running rather hot when it fully warms up, 230 degrees
The cooling fans don't appear to ever come on. I let get to 230 and checked and they were off.
Where should I start? Fan or relays?

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
Did you bleed the cooling system of air using the bleeder screws near the water pump. Pic at shbox.com

Unless you've programed your pcm to have cooling fans come on at a lower temp, they come on at 226 and 236 degrees, if memory serves me right. Don't rely on temp gauge to see if fans come on. Hook up to scanner with real time sensor data capability, and monitor fan turn on temp from coolant sensor pcm uses.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so I let it run, get up to operating temp then bleed it, got it.

Do I do this with the cap on or off? Some people say on some people say off...

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Ok so I let it run, get up to operating temp then bleed it, got it.

Do I do this with the cap on or off? Some people say on some people say off...
open both of the bleeders while filling it with coolant, engine off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks steveo ill give it a shot when I get out of work.

I'm kinda concerned that my tstat isn't opening at tempature (180) stat
How do I know if its opening up?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts