LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drove over to Yakima WA. for the opener T&T yesterday.. car ran really well but I couldn't get the 315/35-17 M/T DR's to hook at all!! was leaving at 2500 and as soon as the clutch engaged it would just blow the tires off..
anyway with a 2.09 60' my best time was a [email protected].. finally weighed the pig too its sits at 3660# with me in it.. pretty sure its got 11.90-12.0 capabilities.. curious how much a "good" set of heads and a custom cam would help..

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Surprised the 315s didn't hook. Heads will help more than anything. Mystery bird took his car into the 11s with the 280xfi iirc. Give Lloyd Elliott a call about the heads and he can spec you a custom cam if you decide to do that too.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
315/35 and being a radial you have damn near no sidewall to flex with that m6, go get some salad shooter Craigslist 16x8s and put a 26x10.50 bias ply on and you'll hook as hard as your rear will take.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Got a set I'll trade you :devil:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
If this was a year ago I would have but they are gone.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doing some suspension adjusting.. pinion angle ended up at +2deg somehow when I installed everything.. got it twisted down to -4deg now.. Now I wait till May to try it again.. too bad there wasn't a bigger f-body group over here, I would love to trade my 17x9/17x11 TT2's with new rubber for a set of 15x3/15x8-10 with similar rubber...

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
-4 is pretty steep. -2.5 is where mine and a friend's hooked well. Also try pulling your front sway bar end links. This lets the front lift more to plant harder.

The bias ply MT's sucked for me. They're a harder compound than the DR's. I ended up with M&H 26" cheaters on stock 16's.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
-4 is great if you have a high HP car and doing WOT clutch dumps, but otherwise, you are risking your U joints and its prob howling....

I run mine at -2, which seems to be a good compromise on the street, if I start doing boosted Tbrake launches I will need to reevaluate. Pinion angle is not really related to traction though, more like how much you want your DS to stay attached to the rear end :lol:

Most of the people local to me have had great luck with hoosier QTP's.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Yeah, like others mentioned and MT recommends a bias ply tire for manual cars. Keep trying, you'll get there. My car weighed in some where in the 3700 range when I ran that cam on a stock short block and home ported heads took it down to 11.63 @ 116.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
heres a vid from the GoPro cam last weekend.. botched the burnout on this pass, forgot to shut the traction control off.. the car in the other lane is my brothers "Krusty Lemonz" it has an LS1 with a TSP224 cam, 4l60e trans, 3.90 gears.. it runs 12.60'[email protected] and 60ft's in the 1.7's. you can see he left me sitting on this pass and I even had him a bit on the r/t... kinda long, I kept forgetting to turn off the camera after the run..
this pass was [email protected] with a 2.09 60'...
YouTube

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
What tire pressure are you running? I would try to bring them down to 14 PSI and work up from there at this point. Also, do a longer burnout. Are you shifting it high enough? Sounds a little low in the video.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
didn't seem to matter with burnout.. that run I forgot to turn traction control off hardly did a burn out and got my best 60ft of the day.. tire pressure started at 28psi, dropped some each pass down to 18 on last pass.. here's another vid leaving on the 2-step at 2500.. it just blows the tires off..
I'm shifting at 5800-6000..

GOPR0085 - YouTube

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
If that track has such a hard on over street tires why do they not have a "street tire" lane? It takes so long to go forward then back up, by the time you finish it leaves the other guy waiting at the stage light. Then people get pissed at you for that.

Anyway, car sounds good.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the guy was a dumb ass.. you can see him pause between me telling him their not street tires and him saying "no, your front tires" I'm fairly certain he thought I had street tires on and was using the water box, I just agreed with him so he'd go away.. Really didn't like that track at all, was un-organized and the return road is a damn golf cart trail

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I still think you should get them a little hotter, especially in the cold air and drop pressure even more. MT recommends starting between 14 and 18 PSI if I remember right. I also think you're leaving some HP on the table by shifting that low. That cam can go higher.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ya, i'll give it another shot next weekend.. as for shifting higher ever since the first hot rod I built I've always drove by the "feel" of the car, the first time I ran the dog snot out of the Camaro I could feel the car lay over around 6000rpm and the dyno confirmed it.. the power curve pretty much flattens out at 5500.. so really no point in pushing it any harder.. cams react different to more ci.. maybe with some better heads it would make power to 6000 maybe even 6500, but this is actually a fairly small cam..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts