LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently want to buy aftermarket pacesetter headers for my 96 formula and all I have done to the car is a k&n intake and Flowmaster exhaust. Would I see much gains in power if I get headers without a new cam? and would I need a tune to pass emissions (I live in Illinois).
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
With LT's it will be hard to pass visual however, with shorties you can pass visual. I myself have a brand new set of pacesetters but I would much rather prefer the OBX stainless steel ones for just a little more coin...like $60. They are a much better header in my opinion plus they're SS which will last and last and last. Pacestter quality control..to me.. is not up to par. I had tp port my primaries before installing them. Now to the othe ? yes you will see gains due to the scavenging effect LT headers have and you can either get a tune or not. It doesn't matter an aweful lot due to just a header change although some will say it is a must. Me though if I add headers and have plans to add additional bolt ons later I would wait on the tuning part. This said a tune will wake up even a stock car. Goodluck!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
First headers do no require a tune, they do not alter fueling enough, the PCM will compensate.. Now my opinion.. In an emission requirements location , unless it is a step towards planning on future mods I would avoid headers. Header HP gain is proportional to other mods, that require more air through the engine (CAM, RR's, heads). Stock manifolds are less of a bottleneck on a stock setup, however that bottleneck increases with other mods. I installed my LT's in preparation for cam and valve train mods the following year, never really felt any drastic performance differences in that period, but some say different. If you go emission legal short tubes the gain is not very drastic, guessing at 10-15 HP. If you go long tubes the gain is about the same on a stocker however you open up pandora's box. They eliminate the cats, so you need to either fabricate some sort of aftermarket solution to get through inspection. Or go plug and play header setups w/cats in the Y-Pipe , that very expensive. Fulfillment is not always easy, they tend to hit things after installation, may need new engine mounts, or just some cutting, banging, etc. Ground clearance is reduced, and you need to re-torque then periodically, some gaskets tend to have problems. Re-routing plug wires is required to prevent burning on the primaries. O2 harness require extending that if done shabby will cause problems. Bottom line I would do them again, but not on a stock DD.
To me a performance tune is the best bang for the buck, it's a very overlooked mod.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you prefer short headers? And where can I find obx headers? Is there a special website?
I've also heard you gain more power from LT 'S than shortys? How much power on average do shorts give?
thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bobdec, so how much would a performance tune increase power? And do you prefer any other mods then besides headers to add some power and how much power?
Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
I'm on the opposite side of Bobdec. When I mated my Pacesetter LTs, Off Road Y to my LM1 my car was not running as well with the OEM manifolds. It was drivable but I could not feel a difference, if anything it may have hurt it a tad. My car is an OBDII with the dual cat set up out of the factory, so maybe OBD1 cars respond differently? IDK.

Once I got a dyno tune my car gained 50 rwhp on the dyno and put down 280rwhp total. A lot of that is due to the headers and other minor bolt ons, but man it woke that car up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts