LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, decided to sell my SN95 and step into the Trans Am world. It's about time, the lack of power all these years in my mustangs has been driving me crazy. I was curious what things I should know about when I'm looking at a buying a Formula/Trans am, aside from the usual car stuff.

I have a specific firebird in mind; one my buddy owned 2 years or so ago before he sold it to the guy currently wanting to sell. My friend is really good with cars, worked at a few dealerships, so he kept it in great shape when he had it. Only thing I'm really worried about is the fact that it has about 150k miles on it. Has had a decent amount of performance work done to it so that's awesome. I'm just concerned about reliability in general. Gonna bring my buddy with me when I go check it out just to be safe, I trust the guy. He's owned 4 firebirds now, one I helped him buy 2 weeks ago actually. Let me drive it part way home, loved it. So much different than an SN95.
Screenshot_20201016-233144_Facebook.jpg

·
Global Moderator
13,268 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Biggest problem with the lt1 engine in 93-97 trans am is the optispark distributor. It is known to be troublesome. Especially if it was replaced with anything other than a GM, Delco, or Delphi opti.

It would be to your advantage to buy a $70 PC based oscilloscope and learn how to use it. With it you can make sure opti low & high resolution signals are the proper square wave.

Also buy an obd 1 scanner. One that will not only read codes, but will also do running sensor scans. Know that the 4 ignition codes for opti & icm do not light the CEL. So you can have them set and light won't come on.

Lt1 engine is tough & durable. That is if properly taken care of. 155K on odometer is nothing, if engine was properly maintained.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Welcome! Hope you find what you're looking for. These are great cars if you keep up with maintenance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts