LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just aquired a 96 trans am this week and new to the LT/LS scene. My question is what are the most common problems with these cars and engines?

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
optispark (distributor) dies due to seal failure, and moisture entering the opti (or from waterpump dying and soaking the opti).

plug wires burn because the stock routing is awful, replacement of plug wires is also difficult because of routing.

spark plugs are past their lifespan, and replacement causes extreme bleeding of whoever decides to reinstall them. blood on exhaust manifolds causes strange smell when heated

already weak ignition control module dies when hot from heat soak from the head. car fails out of nowhere, and runs again after it cools off

back of intake manifold leaks due to poor gasket, you get oil everywhere, and have to put it back together with RTV

vacuum leaks from vac. hoses, incl. intake elbow are common just because of age, but also stress on the intake elbow from engine movement as the engine mounts become weaker

cooling system problems.. sludge caused by both dexcool and cooling system sealing pellets clogs stuff up, especially heater core, also in part because the waterpump (cam driven) spins VERY slowly at idle.

air in cooling system due to relative inability of the system to bleed itself.

also air dam falls off and causes overheating at highway speeds.

also ecm sometimes mysteriously stops signalling the fans causing overheating at slow speeds.

above cooling system problems cause extreme overheating and warps head(s), blows head gasket(s), causes unavoidable detonation and cracks pistons

cam bearing fails, and subsequent oil pressure loss causes other major interal failure.

pickup from oil pump falls off and subsequent oil pressure loss causes other major internal failure

am i forgetting anything?

welcome to the joyful world of lt1 ownership

C

·
0 Posts
Weak 10 bolt rears

Poor window motors burning up constantly from lifting the heavy window

poor access to front O2 sensors on stock exhaust

Driveshaft vibration at 75+ mph

Drivers side seat always gets holes wore in it

Tail lights light to separate and have water seep in

The list continues

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Well gottdam thats alot of common problems lol
the worst problem really isn't what goes wrong, it's the amount of bleeding, swearing, and breaking things that occurs when you have to fix it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh god I shoulda did my research. :homer:

My tail lights has water seeping in them now and I just noticed a small oil leak today.

C

·
0 Posts
Every car has problems, some more so than others. All in all they're good cars, I can't see myself owning any other sports car (maybe a vette)

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
like.. imagine you're a doctor, and you have a friend that always has a problem.. coughing up blood.. stumbling.. keeps passing out.. weird stuff oozes out of his body..

but when you come over to help, you're in the middle of working on the problem, he busts out a knife and cuts you up, and laughs about it..

and you can never quite figure out what his f*#%ing problem is

every time you think you've fixed something, he just turns around and closes a door on his hand and he's screwed up again

but people that don't know him very well keep saying.. wow cool, that's your friend? i wish i had one of those

and you think there might be something special about him.. so you keep him around..

basically, that friend is the LT1 you just bought

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
I especially enjoyed the part "he busts out a knife and cuts you up, and laughs about it.."

Good reading, even if it was a little evil.

·
Registered
970 Posts
haha. perfect explanation

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds like you guys have everything named. I was reading and thinking to myself, I had that or yeah I fixed that... There still good cars and I love mine.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
After Steveo's explanation just now, I wanna rank this one 5 stars!!! I like the part saying "and you can never quite figure out what his f*#%ing problem is"... Brilliant steveo!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts