LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,,,I've read all about these engines for the longest and finally got one to play with. Supposedly, the engine is out of a 96 Camaro, and the #'s on the block tab are VO425WHB. Not sure how to decode but welcome any input from the Guru's here. My current plans are to run a compression check and decide how to proceed. If compression is good, see if possible to hot wire the opti-spark and see if engine will run,,,,?? Anybody done this before?? Thanks for any help.

·
Global Moderator
13,118 Posts
1st thing, welcome to the forum.

Next, engine is LT1, the LT-1 was a sbc 350 produced in 1970. It had 350 to 370 hp & was used in camaros and corvettes. Firebirds in 70 used pontiac v8 engines.

For info on lt1 cars go to shbox site. He has tons of lt1 info. www.shbox.com

Also, go to the following link and download the 96 camaro/firebird factory service manual. It has everything you need to know there. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Look for 350 cast into side of engine block. All LT1 engines have that. If number on side of block is 265, you have the L99 265 cubic inch engine that came in the caprice

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey cocobolo95, many thanks for the quick comeback,,,, Just goes to show how little I know bout these engines. LOL. I did not realize there were LT1's and then LT-1. I did find a number on rear of block at the bellhousing area and is 10125327. Also at left rear of the block by oil filter housing there are numbers= GM 5.7LG, SGI, d194. The cylinder heads are 10125320. That tells me it is a 350,,,? LT1 or LT-1,??

·
Global Moderator
13,118 Posts
It's been awhile since I checked out a LT1 block. The 327 is the correct number that indicates a 350 cid LT!.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts