LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my factory head unit with something that allows me to play CDs and hook up my ipods or iphone. The factory unit is a cassette player, which apparently was optional equipment, and the CD player was standard... anywho, do you guys have any suggestions? I do plan on redoing the whole stereo at some point, but right now I just want to be able to listen to my music rather than the old tapes I have from when I was like 10...

·
Global Moderator
13,430 Posts
I would suggest downloading the factory 94 service manual located in 4th gen section. It has complete stereo wiring diagrams to help you hook your new head unit up to existing speakers. Look for thread titled "GM service manuals".

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and that helps me pick a new head unit how?

·
Global Moderator
13,430 Posts
I figured you were intelligent enough to pick a stereo for yourself. I was trying to give you help with the wiring your going to get into. Did you think you were going to find an after market head unit that plugs right into the existing plugs.

Most any mid range, price wise, head unit will have all the features you want.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not going to get into wiring. I have many areas that I am skilled at, THAT is not one. Silly me for figuring that some people here who also own these cars would have a good idea of units that work well and potentially ones to stay away from...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Aftermarket head units don't really vary between which car you put them in...if its junk in one it is in another...period.
If you're not planning to do it yourself, go to a shop that specializes in audio, tell them what you are looking for and what price range fits, and let them put it together.
If you want to avoid picking apart the factory harness they do make adapters to plug into factory harness and splice into the new head unit.
From my experience pioneer and kenwood (if they're even still in business) were good inexpensive options...my personal favorite was always Alpine though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the alpine units as well, I had one in my '93 Ram along with Kicker subs (which I still have, but can't put in the firebird unless I take out the back seats). So for this car, am I looking for the standard DIN size? What else do I need to buy for it?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm trying to remember since I haven't been around a 4th gen in a good while now. Factory was an oddball size...din and a half I think but could easily be wrong. A simple single din will have the options you want and along with a dash kit should pop right in. If you use the adapter for the wiring harness it'll be a tight fit from all the extra wire unless you trim them down on both sides (but the harness makes it 10x easier if you know how to match colors and splice properly).

Long as the money situation is good on your end go for what you like and are familiar with.

With your idea of the kicker subs, instead of removing the back seat, look into different boxes (several I've seen run the custom fit ones that drop into the cargo space in the rear) or do some measurements and build your own box if you've got the material and knowledge on good channeling setups.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no go on using the trunk space, which these kickers would need. That's t-top storage... I've looked into the shallow-mount kickers a bit, so as to use that deck surface at the rear, but with everything else going into the car right now, it's a very low priority.

·
Registered
110 Posts
you do know they make trunk boxes that still allow for the T-Top storage right? Like THIS. get the wiring adapter, there is plenty of room for it. run your RCAs back to your amp for the subs and your set...

For a Headunit I would simply decide what you want, an how much you want to spend then go to an audio shop ( I dont reccomend Best Buy...) and tell them. Take me for example, I wanted 3 RCA outs, Built in Bluetooth, and Ipod direct control. went to my local shop and told them and they hooked me up with a decent Pioneer unit. Didnt cost to much and has exactly what I wanted built in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had not seen a box like that one before. That one does look like it'd satisfy my ocd... Still, not a high priority right now. have a number of things that need to get done to the car first. so right now just being able to listen to my music is as far as it'll go until those other things are done.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you're a cheapy, a pioneer will get you all the features you want for 110 dollars, or a jvc from walmart for 60 (you'd use aux port for ipod) along with a dash kit and wire harness(10$) or you can cut the factory connector for free (don't reccomend it).

If you got a lil money, alpine makes nice units, higher up pioneers have nice oled screens, and eclipse for SQ junkie.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought a Sony head unit from Wal-Mart here along with the Scosche wiring and adapter units. I usually try to steer clear of doing wiring, but holy crap that was easy! I had to take my dremel to the sides of the mounting brackets and the opening to clearance the screws and brackets, but she's installed now and working like a charm!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts