LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a previous thread i posted if I put the car into gear and released the clutch it wouldn't move and it had all the symptoms of a broken input shaft .well I went to pull the transmission and pulled the slave and it was totally useless when pressing the clutch it hardly moved the piston. So I go buy a new slave bleed and install put the car into gear pulls perfect drove it down the road clutch never felt better I go from 3-4 gear and it just revs no clutch pedal again. Now do I have a deeper clutch issue here or is there still air in the system or master cylinder bad? I've tried bleeding the slave again multiple times and get no more bubbles out of the reservoir just like before when it did pull and run I cannot for the life of me get the car to engage and move again like I did that first time so what's my issue guys? Thanks for any help

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
Since you replaced just the slave cylinder, have you checked to see if master cylinder is up to par, or line between master and slave is good. Have assistant push clutch pedal down while you watch slave cylinder movement.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would I go about testing the master cylinder? I haven't had a chance to get back under the car as I've had to work so what should I be looking for to see if the master is up to par? Thanks for your reply

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
A check of master cylinder is a simple visual test. Jack up car, support with jack stands, have assistant push clutch pedal while you watch slave cylinder push clutch fork. If slave doesn't push fork to it's maximum travel, then you have a problem with master cylinder and/or line to slave cylinder.

Line to slave could look good, but have a collapsed spot internally that prevents fluid from moving at correct pressure and volume.

That is why they sell the master, line, and slave, as a complete unit. Even though you can buy the parts separately, I always replace them as a unit.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
do not push the pedal down if you have the slave off the bell housing or you will blow right through your slave if the MC is good. you would have to remove the dust shield and oil filter to be able to see if the slave is pushing the fork in (.400")to disengage clutch on the LT 1 pull clutch

you can buy the MC/slave GM system for $125ish from rockauto and replace the entire hydraulics as a sealed system.

if just replacing the slave or mc bleeding can be dificult on the LT1 hydraulics. pumping the slave from bottom while a friend watches for bubbles come up in resovoir works

another, more $, option is buy the McLeod MC/line and use your new slave. beench bleed the system first before install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts