LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am wanting to put 3.73 gears on my 1995 trans am auto. I need to know where to look on my car to find out what carrier i have, what size rear end i have. I am buying my parts from summit racing and need to know what all to buy. If you can give me part numbers and advice that would be great. They also asked me if it was standard rotation or reverse?

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is the gear my buddy has in his 1995 Trans am
YG-GM8.5-373 I'm not sure of the rotation but ths is the gear we put in his car it came from summit racing. We took the rear end out of a 6 speed car it's a 3.42 gear. We jest swapped the hole rear end.

·
Global Moderator
12,962 Posts
95 has rpo sticker in glove box GU2 = 2.73 gears.
Gu5 = 3,23 gears
GU6 = 3.42 gears

The 2.73 gear rear end uses the different carrier than 3.23 & 3.42. So if your car is 2.73, you will need the thicker gear set for your carrier.

It is much easier to swap in another whole rear end assembly than to put new gears in your rear. Changing gears involves specialized tools and critical measurement to be made. You just can't throw the new gears an go.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have code gu5. So 3.23, so what carrier is it and what size is my rear end. Im trying to buy the gears from summit racing. If anyone has a part number what would be great. I also have a mechanic installing them. But i just need to buy the parts. So if yall could get me a list of the parts i will need. Thanks. Will i see a difference from 3.23 to 3.73? Or should i go bigger?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts