LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me say, its a pleasure to be posting as I've been reading for a while and am amazed at some of the knowledge. I have been around cars my whole life, and have been recently sudying the LT1 inside and out. I've read alll the FAQ's here and on LS1tech, and know what direction I want to go. My car, a '95 T/A A4, 85k. I am still a full bolt-on so far. LT's, ORY, GMMG, SLP CAI, 3.42's, 52mm TB, shift kit & line lock, think thats about it. I am very happy with the way my car performs & sounds. However, I'm ready to go to the next level. I have chosen Advanced Induction's Street Rebuild & Ported head/cam kit. I am thinking of letting them port my intake as well. My main question, they offer any cam you want, and I have no clue, whatsoever. CC306, 305???? I have no clue. I dont want a huge lope, but more importantly I want what will compliment the heads the best. Will I need a new valvetrain, or will the stock train cut it? Also, with the intake port, will I need a TB?? I would like to stay with the 52 if possible instead of a 58. Also, injectors? Will I need those. After its all done, I am planning on a PCMforless PCM to make it all shine. Here is my goal. A somewhat lightly-modded DD that I can have some (more) fun in, and take to the track about once a month. Ok, last dumb onw. Will the stock A4 and stock rear hold all that? I dont want to go too drastic and need a built tranny and all kinds of chassis mods. Sorry for such a long post, but I want to do it right, and know everything about what I'm gonna need before hand. Thanks for reading, and I am lookin forward to posting here.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Let AI pick the cam or grind their own. That's going to get you the best combination.

And no, your stock valvetrain isn't going to cut it. Other than the valves/springs in the new heads, you're going to need to upgrade rockers and pushrods, lifters too depending on how old your stockers are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. What about the trans? Will a transgo kit, and a cooler be able to handle it? thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm running 7.60's in the 1/8th on my stock tranny. I've got the biggest tranny cooler I could find and a 3600 stall convertor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think I may go with LE2's instead. Will a 224/230 match up with a set of LE2's? I am thinking of leaving the intake alone, and getting bigger injectors. I already have the TB reccomended, so I think I'm good. My only worry is the tranny. I have a transgo kit, and nothing else. Will it hold up, or will I be needing a bullet proof 4l60e now??? If anyone has the LE2 & 224/230 setup, some feedback would be nice. thanks again, sorry for bein such a newbie. :)

Also, what kind of valvetrain am I gonna need with the LE2?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
I run the 224/230 with LE2 heads...365 to the wheels with an A4 and 2800 stall.

And I ran that combo on the stock trans and rear end for 2 years on et streets with no problems. Finally, though, the 2-3 clutch bands gave out in the transmission. It was a 7.80s/12.20s car on the stock 3.23 gears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, thanks alot, I guess that a proven combo that works. What did u do to the valvetrain, if anything? Also, did u keep your stock bottom without having to cut relief into pistons??? thanks again

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I thought the LE2 should be putting down 400-420 rwhp. Thats with an M6 but you wouldnt loose 40 more hp with an A4, would you?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
It might do 400 with more cam dude, but not with the 224/230.

As for piston clearance no there's no need to relieve the pistons, they already have reliefs that are good for some pretty big cams.

Valvetrain, oh heck yes I upgraded it. THe stock rockers will NOT handle it.

I have Combination motorsports 618 dual valvesprings, Comp 1.6 pro mag roller rockers, hardened pushrods and GM guideplates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dont the heads come with springs in them already? All I would need is hardened pushrods & RR right? If not, please tell me what I'm missing.... thanks again!

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
There's no gaurantee the springs in the heads will be adequate for the cam...and if you get stock heads ported then the stock springs certainly won't handle high lift.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
There are many places who can make a custom grind cam for you. If you send them the head flow #'s they can grind you a cam with will be the most effective and yield the most power. My whole set-up is custom. Nothing "off the shelf".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What if I just get the LE cam that comes with the LE2 heads? Would I still need more stuff? pushrod, guides, springs?????? thanx guys

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Yes, or you could go with a set of self-aligning roller rockers and not have to have the new pushrods and guideplates. Its not as stable but for a mild setup its fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
smoknta said:
I'm running 7.60's in the 1/8th on my stock tranny. I've got the biggest tranny cooler I could find and a 3600 stall convertor.
I'm amazed. 59,000 miles on my factory 4L60E without a stall and I'm in the process of a rebuild right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
so, self-aligning rockers would fix guides & pushrods??? And if I go with the AE cam, then the springs that come in the heads should be adequate, right? Do self-aligning RRs compromise anything at all, quality of your project, reliability, drivability? thanks once more chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts