LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got new power mirrors from Dorman for my 1994 Z28. They are shiny plastic so I will need to Scotchbrite them. Is there a specific primer and paint I should use? I've never painted plastic...

Thanks!
Mark

·
Global Moderator
13,225 Posts
What are your paint plans for the mirrors. Are you going body color like oem, or are you going to paint them black or something else.

As for painting hard plastic parts, I've never had adhesion problems with using regular automotive primer. If you are painting them body color, then either base coat clear coat. Or you can use a single stage urethane mixed in your car's color.

If painting them black, or another color, any kind of spray paint could be used. But automotive grade paint will stand up to the elements better than spray bomb paint.

Here's a source of economically priced automotive paint. www.thecoatingstore.com
Their shortcoming is they don't mix colors that auto companies use. But they have a big enough selection of colors that you should find something close to the original color.

If black is what you want, they have black. In gloss, simigloss, & flat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They were black from the factory, so I was planning on the factory scheme. I'm in a small town, but there is/was (haven't checked yet) an auto parts store that sold PPG and a few other brands of paint. He won't charge me much for enough to paint the mirrors. Thanks for the advice! I got advice from you about my Opti a while ago! Man of all trades you are!

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts