LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cam is a custom-grind: CompCams LT3312/3314/HR112+5. The cam specs with 1.6 rr's (Comp ProMag) are 212/224 dur @ .050, 519/535 lift. Heads are rebuilt AFR 180LTs - 2.02, 1.60's, decked .006. LSx lifters. Howards 7.1" HS pushrods. .026 headgasket.

Exhaust - CIA longtubes, Pypes X-pipe, Dynomax VT's

Here's the vid. It chops more than I expected, and I am ok with that.

3.42 gearset and 3200 Yank coming, too

Here's another video that lets you hear more of the cam

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sounds like my 218/224.
Do you have a tune in it?
Does it chop more with the ac on?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like my 218/224.
Do you have a tune in it?
Does it chop more with the ac on?
Tuned by Solomon - who has been awesome to deal with.

The AC was wiped out due to cam install. While everything was out, I replaced the compressor, accumulator, and condenser. Just gotta get it all charged back up now. Until then, I dont know how it idles with the load from the compressor.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yank is a great converter, but 3200 will be a bit much for that small of a cam...unless you're going to do nothing but drag race it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yank is a great converter, but 3200 will be a bit much for that small of a cam...unless you're going to do nothing but drag race it.
Really? I think it would do well if it's the SS series. I've ran a 3600 for the last 14 years with the stock cam, still puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Really? I think it would do well if it's the SS series. I've ran a 3600 for the last 14 years with the stock cam, still puts a smile on my face.
I'm glad you like it, but just because you did it doesn't mean it's the right setup. The Yank SS series is a great converter, but you're leaving the meat of your torque range on the table with a converter that loose.

The two biggest mistakes I see people make in their setups is over-camming their engine, and putting in too loose of a converter. If all you ever do is drag race your car from a dig, then yes, those converters can be fun. But otherwise they eliminate most of your bottom end performance (especially with a weird cam like a stock LT1), and generate a bunch of heat doing it. There is definitely a time and place for a 3600, 3800, or looser converter, but with camshafts this small, it's not the optimum setup.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive been told by a few folks that 2800-3200 is optimum with this cam and head combo. Yank in particular because they're tighter. Im still leaning towards the 3k and may just go ahead and order it and return the 3200.

Im open to suggestions tho. I only want to do it once.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ive been told by a few folks that 2800-3200 is optimum with this cam and head combo. Yank in particular because they're tighter. Im still leaning towards the 3k and may just go ahead and order it and return the 3200.

Im open to suggestions tho. I only want to do it once.
Been there done that, 2800 is not enough. What did Yank recommend for your combo ?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm happy with my vigilante 2800 converter with 3.73s with the 218/224. 60' 1.72x..

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Been there done that, 2800 is not enough. What did Yank recommend for your combo ?
With 3.73 gears, 2800 to 3200 stall is plenty enough for a B-body; particularly for one that only sees occasional track duty.

From someone who's ACTUALLY been there and done.....THAT! >:)

KW

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I would go absolutely no larger than 2800 with that camshaft. 2400-2600 would work even better for a daily driver.

A few years ago I had a '94 Impala SS with a long rod 383 and a CC503 cam. I ran a 2400 rpm converter in that one. That was a great setup for a daily driver. It had great driveability, but would flash more than enough to get up into the meat of the torque curve when necessary. If I had been interested in drag racing it, then a looser converter would have made more sense, but then again, so would more camshaft...and different heads...and more compression...and yada yada yada...

Again, guys over-cam and over-stall their setups all too often... Choose a converter that works with YOUR engine setup and application, not something you read about on some forum somewhere...

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I would go absolutely no larger than 2800 with that camshaft. 2400-2600 would work even better for a daily driver......
The problem I see with a 2400-2600 stall is that this would almost certainly be a re-stalled OEM 12" converter.....even Yank (they restalled OEMs to do the 2400 stall SLP converters).

On the other hand, the YankSS 2800 stall unit is 9.5". This is a much more efficient unit that offers drivability right on par with a cheaper (and they're ALWAYS cheaper) re-stalled OEM unit, yet, the 9.5" Yank will flash like crazy when you kick it in the ass.

SS Series Converters

IMHO, of course.

KW

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The two biggest mistakes I see people make in their setups is over-camming their engine, and putting in too loose of a converter. If all you ever do is drag race your car from a dig, then yes, those converters can be fun. But otherwise they eliminate most of your bottom end performance (especially with a weird cam like a stock LT1), and generate a bunch of heat doing it. There is definitely a time and place for a 3600, 3800, or looser converter, but with camshafts this small, it's not the optimum setup.
^^^Amen

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the reply from Yank:

Dan I would use our SS3200 model it will be more efficient and run cooler. The 3000 is built from a non billet stock case converter that we re work.
Dave Myers
Yank Performance
775-826-9955

I'm going to go with what they've suggested. And yes, I sent them all my cam/heads/engine/driveline specs.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Here's the reply from Yank:

Dan I would use our SS3200 model it will be more efficient and run cooler. The 3000 is built from a non billet stock case converter that we re work.
Dave Myers
Yank Performance
775-826-9955

I'm going to go with what they've suggested. And yes, I sent them all my cam/heads/engine/driveline specs.
Excellent choice. I would also add a trans cooler. I just used a Hayden 516 plumbed in after the radiator cooler.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You got good guidance from Dave at Yank, as I always have too. I don't always run their converters, but in a street/performance application, I really do believe they are the best.
The SS3200 is ideal for a driver/performance compromise. Anybody that has ever used the SS converters will agree. If you were going with any other converter, I agree with some here that 3200 would lean more toward performance and away from daily driveability.

The stock B-body trans cooler is all you need unless you're towing.

If you don't already have 3.73 gears, get some :D

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I agree that Yank SS converters are a great converter, but 3200 is too much for that small of a camshaft in a daily driver.

But, what do I know...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts