LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,

Finally, after some time I found my way to obtaining a 96 Trans Am. Found off craigslist from
a guy not too far from me. 148K on the car. Going to pick it up tomorrow after work and get it
towed back to the house. He said it had been sitting for a year since the pandemic hit and the
gas may be stale, so towing it may be the best option. Have been wanting one what seems like
forever, at least since I was 4-5 yrs old. Glad to find information and advice from everyone here!

First, I know I want to do a full tune up, front brakes/rotors, fluids, etc. Any other tips are greatly
appreciated to start. I only need it for a weekend fun ride, my Optima is my daily, so I don't mind
waiting on certain things.

I'm also on over at FB nation, just in case somebody else as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the purchase. I did a 1997 Formula about a year ago, and it has been fantastic. It also nearly drove me insane!

Save this website. www.shbox.com There is a ton of information and if you start there, it will likely save you some time.

This is where you can download the factory service manual. Great way to know what you are looking at, or about to get into. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Other than that, be prepared to turn wrenches, and spend money! The "nice driver" I bought blew up the transmission after 3 drives. I also ended up replacing almost every gasket and seal on the car, and had to catch up on a ton of deferred maintenance. It was a ton of fun, and love it, but it wasn't always easy.

Good luck, have fun! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Congrats and good luck with your 96 Trans Am!

Also Im so happy to see some of the early 93-97 4th gens come around as I feel they are not as appreciated as the later 98-02 models...

Here's a recent pic of my 97 Formula
Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
45 Posts
Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle

This one is mine. 97 Formula. Had it almost 3 years now, and have been loving it! Still tinkering with a bunch of little stuff, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts