LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a catback system for my car and i was wondering which system out there gives good power gains and also has no problem with emmision laws in california? I was thinkin of going with a magnaflow or borla. I am planing on upgrading later down the line with headers and such if you guys know of any good headers that are also emissions legal for california that you could tell me, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
They're pretty much all legal and pretty much all going to gain you 8-12 hp at the wheels. Its more a matter of personal taste on the sound. Hard to go wrong with the Magnaflow.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
bleagh... I don't care for the magnaflow. I have never heard a Hooker Catback I didn't like though. If I had my choice and wasn't worried about hte $$$ behind it, corsa all the way...

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Corsa looks/sounds the best...but their mufflers come apart a lot, LOL.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
I think those mufflers just hated Bob. They had some machine welding problems there for a whilek, and when they went back to hand welding they were better. Or maybe it was the other way around.

·
Registered
993 Posts
If money is no option, definitely GMMG if we're just talking about catbacks. When considering price the Hooker just sounds absolutely too good to ignore. It's too bad it's not stainless, but for $260 how can you really complain?

·
Registered
81 Posts
If money is no object get the Borla,if money is a consideration get the Magnaflow.

BTW SLP 13/4 shorties for the 93-95 single cat cars is the way to go in Cali. for headers that are emissions legal.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey thanks everyone for putting in your 2 cents. Sorry I couldn't respond I was at work all day. Anyways I am looking for a cheap yet great quality catback system so I am going to look into the hooker system only thing is i would have liked it to be stainless steel but oh well. Also are the systems stated above easy to put on yourself? This is also a guy who can not weld.

transamtom said:
BTW SLP 13/4 shorties for the 93-95 single cat cars is the way to go in Cali. for headers that are emissions legal.
Thanks for the input on the headers, I am going to look more into that once I get a catback system.......and more money.

Edit: On the slp headers is there welding involed or is it all bolt on?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
Corsa looks/sounds the best...but their mufflers come apart a lot, LOL.
lol :banana:
go with borla. theres nothing like it.
hell im up for try the new 4" mufflex sys. on my 97

·
Registered
81 Posts
Empire said:
Hey thanks everyone for putting in your 2 cents. Sorry I couldn't respond I was at work all day. Anyways I am looking for a cheap yet great quality catback system so I am going to look into the hooker system only thing is i would have liked it to be stainless steel but oh well. Also are the systems stated above easy to put on yourself? This is also a guy who can not weld.

Thanks for the input on the headers, I am going to look more into that once I get a catback system.......and more money.

Edit: On the slp headers is there welding involed or is it all bolt on?
The headers and Y pipe bolt on but you need to weld the catylitic converter to the Y pipe in order to meet emissions as it was welded from the factory,.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
transamtom said:
The headers and Y pipe bolt on but you need to weld the catylitic converter to the Y pipe in order to meet emissions as it was welded from the factory,.
Thanks i was wondering about that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Go with borla.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I would go with borla but the money factor is really pulling me away from it so its a toss up between hooker and magnaflow. I like the stainless steel but not the single pipes/tips on magnaflow and I like hooker cuz it has dual pipes/tips but not the aluminum factor. Anyone have a sound clip of a hooker catback? Cant seem to find one.

Edit: I am looking for a deeper tone and a little bit bigger rumble then the stock exhuast but not to loud still very comfortable in the cab and still able to talk comfortably to other people in the cab.

·
Registered
993 Posts
LS1sounds.com for all sound clips. They have a few hooker clips on there.

I'm trying to decide between Magnaflow and Hooker for my next car as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vendetta said:
LS1sounds.com for all sound clips. They have a few hooker clips on there.

I'm trying to decide between Magnaflow and Hooker for my next car as well.
I know its such a hard choice!!! I am so confused on what to get :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts